Episode 6

Silence was instilled in the night, buzzing of insects echoing around. I walked through, crushing the dry leaves under my feet. I knew someone followed me, it would be either of my brothers, for we haven't left any of us alone since we left Shatasringa.

There sure was insecurity in our hearts. We came all the way from forest to my father's homeland, just to leave the past behind though it never did.

Our fate, was no less than a new leaf being plucked off the tree's shed.

Adjusting to this new life wasn't a piece of cake.

The mourning period was over, not the sorrow. Half the month passed by roughly. Finally we were in the capital city of Hastinapur.

Jaw drop open, eyes popping out, goosebumps. The feeling was exciting on witnessing the giant structure of the Royal palace. Made of Gold, shining forth in the sunlight, it looked mesmerizing. The pathway was decorated with gold sculptures on both sides. We touched each of them in absolute perplexity if they really were gold. Thinking how such a giant structure would have been made, awe struck us.
My glance fell on the garden behind the statues. The exquisite design of it was astonishing. Ponds of lotuses, varities of trees, birds that I have never seen in my life till then.

I would have run off to the garden but mom's hand caught us.
She silently whispered, "This isn't Shatasringa."

Eldest walked just behind mom, quiet and with the slightest excitement, while I noticed Brother Bheema gazing at the garden. Nakula-Sahadeva walked beside me, jumping around like a flying seed of Cotton, emotions protected by their ignorance of what all have happened.

I remember the last time Nakula said, "Maa, where's Pitashree?"

Mother dodged off the question everytime but she knew she can't go on like that.
"Putra, he's doing another austerity and can't be distrubed," she replied, as a matter of reassurance.

Out of his innocent mind, Sahadeva also enquired, "How long?"

And that's when Maa went silent. Brother Yudhisthira covered for her because even he knew that if she said another word, her eyes wouldn't be able to hold back.

Amidst the thoughts, I realised that stairs lie ahead. We entered the palace, even the floor felt soo smooth unlike the soil of mountains. However I loved the mountains more.

How I laugh today, remembering that I once wished to descend the mountain, for the same cottage bored me. And here my present, urging me to hide under the shelter of that small cottage.

We have been watching the same faces for so many days but never got the time to be introduced. The court was specially called for us today.

"The one there, on the highest throne is your Uncle, King Dhritarastra. The mighty-armed beside his throne is your grandfather, Bhishma. The one on the king's right is our family priest, adopted son of Maharaja Shantanu, and brother to Pitamaha Bhishma. The one, sitting on a step lower is your Uncle too, minister Vidura," Mother introduced, without pointing them out.

The king, our uncle, gave a speech with deep words. I couldn't understand half of it, but somehow I knew that it was about my father, because his name was mentioned a lot of times.

Most of the time, I was busy observing the large dome-like roof of the court hall.  My gaze fell on the ministers, they all looked rich and well-nourished. Tracing along the line, the prime-minister looked comparatively better. As mother said, he was also our uncle, and the glow his face had, did resembled father

I wondered how the king, who was my father's blood brother, looked different from him while his cousin resembled him more.

I noticed something absurd about the emperor. His eyes looked different, and then only I realised that he was actually blind. I felt pity for him but shrugged off the feeling because my thoughts didn't liked pity.

I don't know why, but the face of Pitamaha resembled a lot to father's. As I was staring at him, his eyes also met mine. He gestured me to come over.

Nervously, I dragged myself to him.

"What's your name, Putra?" He enquired.

"Phalguna..."

That was the first name to get on my tongue, or I would have introduced myself as Arjuna.

He smiled, it felt just as if father's back. I didn't realised when my lips curved up into a smile either and this time, I truly felt assured.

"Face having the glow of a sage with power of austerities. Glimmering curiousity. Arms of an archer," he began.

His hands traced my arms, all the way from my cheeks, as he continued. "You are surely one promising warrior, my son!"

I didn't knew how to react, I did felt ecstatic however expressing it was not easy for I have only came across such praises by the sages of Shatasringa.

I touched his feet, just like how I accepted the praises from sages.

"Yaṣasvi bhāva," he blessed, caressing my hair.

I glanced at mother, and somewhere Pitamaha understood the awkwardness I was having. With a smile, he asked me to go back to mom.

As I reached my brothers, I glanced back at him with a smile, a genuine one.

My arms still felt his touch. Truly resembling my father, just like my father was talking to me through him.

I felt a special bond with him, for the love his touch carried, I don't know why and how, but it assured me that I am not plucked off from the tree's shed, yet.

—————————————

🌝Chapter focused on introducing Hastinapura, and the new family.

I don't know how to introduce Dhritarastra—🤓 a lil help pwease.

~Parthvi❣️