Unspecified Rage

Julia stared at her new school and blew out the final drag of her joint. She stubbed it out on the bottom of her boot and tucked the half finished roach behind her ear. Pulling her chemical calm around her mind she indifferently walked in the doors to her first class. New town, new school and a whole bunch of new problems to deal with.

She walked in the front doors as the bell to scurry to class rang and tried to ignore the jostling crowd that pulled her along. If you've ever watched a crowd from above, it's like watching blood pump through veins. The center stream travels the farthest away, whereas the smaller streams on the outside break off into different destinations. These students, whom all knew where they were going, went about as briskly as if they were pumped along in the bloodflow. Except the occasional 'plaque' of a group standing in the damn way. Ju watched the way the students moved around each other and slid her way to the outside of the stream and broke away, into a door marked 'OFFICE'. A few of the students watched her in curiosity, wondering who the new girl was.

Inside the office Julia wrinkled her nose, assaulted by the smell of old, burned coffee. Joy and freaking rapture. she thought to herself, and plastered a half hearted smile to her face when she saw the secretary looking at her.

"Um... is that a joint tucked behind your ear?" the elder gentleman asked incredulously.

"Oh shi... I mean yeah. I'm the new student, Julia Shaw. And don't worry about that, "she gestured to the joint, "I've got a 'script." she shrugged it off. The secretary looked at her in disbelief. Rolling her eyes with a sigh, Julia leaned against the counter, annoyed and weary already. "Prescription. Apparently if you're in blinding pain all day, everyday, they feel that if a little weed makes it stop, it's not so bad. Copacetic?" she asked, holding the growing irritation at bay.

"Ah..." the secretary stammered, seeing a sudden dark anger in the girl's eyes.

"Ms. Shaw, thank you for coming in to the office. I've read your file and understand the need for your, medication. It's alright Henry, don't worry." a strong, slightly musical woman's voice called out as the door closed behind Julia.

Ju turned and eyed the woman with a neutral gaze. Purple skirt suit, white blouse, sensible shoes, hair in a bun, definitly the principal. "Would you be Mrs. Baumberg?" Julia asked, sticking her hand out to greet her newest principal. The woman shook her hand and Julia felt a weird buzzing sensation in the back of her mind. A headache started growing behind her eyes, but she was used to that sensation by now.

"I would be. I've read your file and I'd like to discuss a few things with you. Into my office please. Oh Henry, can you please print out Julia's class list, school map and locker location?" she requested just short of an order. With a timid bob of his head, Henry started at that task right away. Strange. Julia thought, wondering at the fear radiating off the elder gentleman. Julia's stomach suddenly rumbled with hunger and surprised her a little, normally she had trouble with food. Focus. she reminded herself, drawing her attention onto the principal.

"Now Ms. Shaw, I've taken the liberty of informing the teachers here about your unusual... condition and required use of normally prohibited substances. It is accetped that you have to make use of it, but please remember that no other student is allowed. We cannot have you distributing to the rest of the student body. I would also take it as a kindness if you were to be... subtle about medicating." Julia resisted the urge to stare her principal down. Watch your attitude. she though angrily to herself. Don't screw this up for your family AGAIN.

"Yes MA'AM." Ju said, keeping her tone respectful and looking at the principal with the corner of her eye. Ju sat quietly in the chair while Mrs. Baumberg went on, rattling on about the rules of this facility and how, with her past record, Julia would be held to a higher level of scrutiny. The urge to walk out made Julia curl her toes. It was always like this, whenever she felt caged in, the need to lash out and escape. It was almost overwhelming, but years of hard earned self control kept her in her seat, smiling politely. The boiling sensation started under her skin and she felt cold sweats spread across her body. The rushing sound of blood throbbed in her ears and yet she sat still, her outward appearance giving no hint of the turmoil raging inside. A bell shattered through her and broke the state she was in, helping her focus past the ramming of her heart.