Part 19

Try as she might, but Cassie could not get rid of  the pained feeling in her chest as the couple gracefully made their way down the stairs.

She knew that Loki had never promised himself to her, and she hadn't shown any interest in him, but this was a very clear feeling.

She turned away and looked down with her hands in her lap. Sunny seemed to notice and asked what was wrong but Cassie brushed her off.

Loki and Sigyn were slowly coming closer to all the tables, and eventually, Cassie just couldn't take it, and stood up, mumbling an, "Excuse me," before quickly walking out of the big room into the hallways.

She took deep breaths the whole way there, trying to keep in tears she wished she didn't have. A couple of guards gave her odd looks, but none said anything. She stumbled through the grand hallways into her room.

Cassie broke down on her bed. She couldn't go back. She wouldn't. She hated that this affected her so much. She then thought about what this would mean for Loki; he could finally be king like he desired.

Was this what she was destined to be? Maid for the man she lo—desired, while he was married off to the first woman Odin chose?

Then it hit her. What if this wasn't Odin's choice? Could Loki really love her? Cassie sighed, how delusional could she have been to ever think the prince would see her?

She couldn't stay away from the party, no matter how much it pained her. She cleaned herself up, making sure there was no proof she had cried.

Just before she was about to leave, there was a knock on her door, which she of course opened. It was Loki on the other side.

"I was told you rushed out," he said. "Is everything alright?"

Cassie quickly racked her brain for the most believable excuse. "Yes, of course, there were just a lot of people and I needed some air for a few moments. Is there anything I can do for you?" She gave a fake smile as she told her white lie, hoping he would believe her.

"No- I'm not...Are you sure everything is alright?" He questioned again.

Cassie nodded. "Shall we go back?" He gave her an unbelieving look, but nodded and stepped out of the way so she could exit the room.

They walked side by side back to the party awkwardly. "You were announced as my maid, and Odin didn't seem happy that you weren't there."

That caused a small smile to appear on her face. "Well, I do love making him mad."

"Elskan- Cassie.." Loki stopped so Cassie did as well. "As much as I love seeing him riled up, it is your life on the line." (A/n: Elskan means "my love")

Elskan? Cassie wondered. "I'll be fine." And she continued walking causing Loki to continue as well. "Anyway, what's with the girl?"

"Sigyn?" Loki confirmed, and she nodded. "An arranged marriage from my father." Even though it shouldn't, it made Cassie happy to hear that.

"Well at least you are finally heir for the throne," Cassie said. "I'm..happy for you." She was happy he could get what he wanted, but she hated the idea of him married to her.

"Jeg er ikke," (I am not) Loki muttered. "Thank you. Things might change though. A spouse has the power to release a maid."

"You're saying she can get me fired from being a maid? Then what? Back to the dungeons?"

"I swear, I will do everything in my power to stop it," Loki promised.

Cassie nodded, but looked away. She now had another problem, it seemed.

————————
A/n: This is so short sorry but it seemed like a nice ending for a chapter.