PROLOGUE #1

"speaking"
'thoughts'

------------

[ Third Person POV ]

The new students of Night Raven College all gathered in the Mirror Chamber. Among the hooded figures, five and a floating tablet stood out the most as they stood in front of the rest. They all looked as if they were waiting for someone. The new students chattered with the others around them until they heard someone talking.

It was a red-haired boy, who looked shorter than the others, that started speaking, "Is that all for the new student dorm assignments? Listen up new students. Here in Heartslabyul, I am the rules. Break them and it's off with your head." Students who got sorted into said dorm could feel chills running down their spines. It was just the dorm sorting ceremony and their dorm leader was already threatening them? They could only dread what was coming their way.

A man with emerald green eyes that held nothing but boredom, and a thin scar over his left eye that goes from his eyebrow to his cheek, felt his ears twitching in annoyance. His eyes quickly scanned through the new students he would be in charge of. He groaned, "Ugh, this stuffy ceremony is finally over. We're going back to the dorm. Savanaclaws, follow me."

"To the new students, congratulations on entering this academy. Enjoy your life here to its fullest," a boy with glasses said with an insincere smile, though perhaps it wasn't obvious to most of the people present. Only someone with sharp eyes or who is as calculating as he is would be able to notice. "As the dormitory leader of Octavinelle, I will support you to the best of my ability."

The beautiful man, Vil Schoenheit, who could be seen in countless magazines and many movies, questioned "By the way, where did the headmaster go? He flew out right in the middle of the ceremony..."

This caught the students' attention, they looked around the Mirror Chamber only to find that he was right. The headmaster was nowhere to be seen. This situation was out of the ordinary as the headmaster would always be expected to be present during important ceremonies such as this one.

"Abandoning his post..", a rather tired voice came from the floating tablet.

Unlike the rest of his peers, a boy with red eyes voiced out his concerns, "Did he get a stomach ache or something?" The boy had his eyebrows furrowed and a visible frown on his face.

The room went silent when the door burst open. Everyone turned their heads to see who was the culprit that opened the door so rudely. To some of their surprise, it was the headmaster himself. "Not at all!", he shouted as he walked towards the center of the room with a hooded figure trailing behind him like a lost puppy.

"Ah, he's here," the red-haired boy mumbled.

The headmaster had a look of disappointment in his eyes. "I cannot believe you all. We were missing one new student so I went to find them," the Headmaster sighed. He turned to look at the hooded figure behind him and said, "You are the only one yet to be assigned a dormitory, I shall watch over the raccoon, step in front of the mirror."

There were some muffled noises from the 'raccoon', who was restrained by the headmaster. This gained some looks from the other students as they did not notice his presence beforehand. Some were curious as to what exactly is that creature.

The student from before complied with the headmaster and stood in front of the Dark Mirror. He had no idea where he was but he decided that he should just follow along.

"State thy name"

The deep voice startled him, he had to register what the Dark Mirror had said for a few seconds before he replied. "Yuulin Hayashi."

No emotions were shown on the Dark Mirror's face. "The shape of thy soul is...", the Dark Mirror was silent for a few seconds. "I do not know."

"Come again?", to say the headmaster was shocked was an understatement. He had heard what the Dark Mirror said but he couldn't believe it.

The Dark Mirror continued, "I sense not a spark of magic from this one... The colour, the shape, all are nothing. Therefore, they are suited for no dormitory." This was indeed a special case. Students began muttering amongst themselves, clearly confused by this predicament.

"An Ebony Carriage would absolutely never go to meet someone who can't use magic!", the headmaster stated. Still in disbelief, he continued, "In 100 years, there has not once been a mistake in student selection... So why in the world..."

"Mngh- PAH!", the 'raccoon' took the chance to break out of his restraints while the headmaster was in deep thought. "Then I'll take his place!", he shouted.

This snapped the headmaster out of his thoughts and yelled at the 'raccoon', "Stay right there, raccoon!" Unfortunately, it was too late. The 'raccoon' was not an obedient one after all.

"Unlike that dumb human, I can use magic! Let me in the school instead!", he exclaimed loudly. With how loud and wild he was being, a certain individual's face was starting to turn red out of anger.

"If you need proof, I'll show you right now!", that was the last thing the 'raccoon' said before chaos ensues.

"Everyone, get down!", the red-haired boy from before shouted.

━━━━━

At the same time when all of that had happened, a girl was waiting outside of the headmaster's office. She had a small frown on her face as she had been standing there for an hour or more. Looking around her for sevens know how many times she had done that, she sighed.

She was close to calling her father to update him about her current situation but refrained from doing so as she knew he was busy with his work. 'Night Raven College, are you sure this is your headmaster?'

She decided that she had no other choice but to keep waiting. She promised herself that she will interrogate the headmaster once he arrives.

------------

*not proofread