1

"Morning, students! Today we're having volunteers come in and you're doing whatever service they want. This will help you prepare for last-minute walk-ins, deal with first-time clients, and socialize," Ms. Verdi explained, "Now after you sign in, grab your kits and prep your stations. Clients will be coming in at 8." 

Y/n smiled in anticipation. After 6 fast-paced months at cosmetology school, they were finally doing real people! Sure, she worked on her mom a minuscule 2 months in, but that was just a simple wash and blowout. As soon as she was passed the sign-in sheet, she sped to her kit and station, cleaning and disinfecting it as she had done so many times before. There was just one downside to getting ready so quickly... there were still 25 minutes to spare and just wait. 

"Hado!" 

"Yeah, Y/n?" The blue-haired girl turned her head as she set up her chair. 

"Are you excited?!"

"Totally! We finally get to work on real people!" 

"I know!" 

"I hope they're nice." 

"Me too," She agreed, "I get nervous starting conversations." 

"I'm sure you'll be fine!"

"Easy for you to say!" 

"Just take it easy, do your service, and everything will be perfect! You're talented!" 

"I'm alright..."

"Better than me, that's for sure."

"You're talented, Hado!" 

"Lies!" 

"Bullshit!" They laughed it off, and Y/n went back to her station, grabbing the implements she used for every service she could think of.

After what felt like hours, the clients had finally arrived. People of all hair types were present, both dyed and natural. 

"Alright, everybody. Gather 'round!" Ms. Verdi called, "I have assigned each of you a client..." She called each of the 22 students up and showed them to their person, going back to their stations right away; Y/n did the same. 

Her client was easily 6 foot (183cm), towering over her 5'4 (163cm) self. He was visibly one to work out often, with mid-length hair colored bright red with black roots. He looked tough but piqued her interest. "Hi! I'm Eijirou Kirishima!" He held out his hand and gave her a gleaming ear-to-ear smile, presenting his naturally sharp canines. 

"Damn, he's pretty cute for looking so tough,"  Y/n thought. "Hi, Kirishima. I'm Y/n L/n. Please, have a seat, get comfortable." 

"Thank you," He lowered himself in the chair, viewing himself in the mirror. Y/n caped him up, and the consultation commenced.

"So! What are you looking for today?" 

"Just a touch-up on my color, a trim, and some layers," Kirishima touched his hair as he spoke.

"I love a client who knows what they want." She smiled, "Alright! I'll get your color mixed up, and I'll be right back!" Y/n took a deep breath walking to the supply closet.

"Y/n!" Hado called walking to the closet. 

"What's up?" Y/n responded, grabbing the fire-truck red color tube from the shelf. 

"Your client is cute!" 

"Hado! He's a client!" 

"But he's cute!"

Y/n caved, "I mean, yeah, he is. But there's no way I could."

"He looks about our age?" 

"I think so, but still. I can't" 

"We'll see...!" 

After stirring up the standardized proportions of color and bleach, she grabbed the bowls and walked back to her station. "Here we are!"

"Ah, I'm excited! My last stylist left me very patchy," he pointed to his head, "You see how some roots are longer than others." 

She observed, "Oh, yeah, I see! Well, don't worry. You're in good hands, Kirishima. I'll make sure that never happens again." 

"I hope not!" He laughed. 

She smiled and began combing his hair as they talked, sectioning it off in horizontal halves to prepare for bleach application. Picking up the brush, she slathered the product on his 3-inch (8cm) jet-black roots. 

Finally getting in a rhythm, she sparked conversation, "So, uh, what do you do?" 

"Well, I'm in college right now, so not much." 

"Oh! Where do you go?" 

"UA." 

"Damn! What's your major?" 

"Athletic training." 

"Nice! I figured you did something with your muscles." 

"I'm still working on 'em." 

"Impressive, I must say. I don't think I could bring myself to the gym even if I tried." 

"I'm sure you could," he encouraged, "Thinking about it, you could benefit from it! You use your arms a lot, so building them up a bit could help them be less sore." 

"Hey, that's not a bad idea!" 

"I can give you my number if you like. Maybe I can help you get started?"

"I can't really... engage in anything personal with clients." 

Kirishima smirked, "I'm not an official client, L/n. Just a volunteer?" 

"You make a point..." 

Around the corner, an uninvited voice could be heard, "Do it, Y/n." 

"Hado! Talk with your client!" 

Hado laughed and went back to work. 

Finishing up the bleach application, Y/n set a timer for a shorter amount of time for a baseline, just in case his hair processed fast. 

"Alright. That'll process, then I'll wash, tone, dry, then apply your color!" She explained her process to make Kirishima comfortable in her abilities, even though she's still a student -- Just like her textbook said. 

"Cool! Here," he handed Y/n his phone, "Put your number in and I'll text you." Y/n hesitated but typed up her number anyway. "Just sent a message. I'll text you this weekend?" 

"Sure," She smiled nervously, still not sure whether to be scared or excited. "He's gonna kill my arms..."

888 words