Keep Riding Till It Breaks Your Heart

CLAIRE'S POV

I rode for days and days till I had finally reached Houston.

I cry every five minutes just thinking about all of my friends in the Alamo. That now lie dead at the church that was their home for the last thirteen days.

And here I sit, next to Juan Seguin, and across from Sam Houston himself. Sam has been TRYING to get me to answer his question, or even getting me to talk to him for that matter. I wouldn't budge though; losing William seems to have mafe me a mute. I don't talk to abyone anymore really, because I don't have anything to say.

Sam kept his hard, yet sympathetic stare on me. He looked at me over a candle that sat on a wooden table.

He finally ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "Please. Say. Something!" He begged

I just looked up at him with foggy, lifeless eyes. Not knowing what to say, even if I wanted to talk.

When I didn't answer him he walked over to me and knelt down on one knee. Taking my hands in his in a sort of pleading manner. "The loss at the Alamo.... Is a tradgedy to ALL of us... Now, I don't know exactly what happened, but I know that I'd probably prefer it to be left a mystery... Claire, I need you to fight in this up coming battle. I know that's a lot to ask of you, considering what you've been through, but it's for Texas. It's for what all of those brace souls in the Alamo DIED for. Claire, honor them by fighting for them. They'll have died for nothing if we don't finish what we've started. Help us Claire!" He looked at me with begging brown eyes.

I turned my head away from him thinking, 'you can't just get over William that fast, but he'll have died for nothing if you don't fight! What happens to Charlie if I die in this battle though? Charlie. Lord, how do I tell Charlie his father's dead?!' Tears began to make their way down my face at just the thought of telling the little boy that his father died.

Houston was still knelt before me, when he saw the tears on my face he pulled me into a fatherly hug. I cried into his shoulder until it hurt. When he pulled away he looked me in the eyes again, searching for an answer. I sighed before saying, "yes".

Houston gave me a small smile before exiting the tent along with Juan. I looked down at my hands, only to notice that I still had William's ring on my right ring finger. I smiled at the memory of his warms hands placing it on there before kissing me.

I placed the ring atvthe center of my lips, pursing them before placing a gentle kiss in the middle of the ring.

I then began to get ready for bed. Once I finished I lay on my cot and think about tomorrow.

All of the sudden, an unexpected wind gust blows through the tent blowing out the candle. And I swear I can hear it whisper, 'I will always love you...' I then drifted into a peaceful sleep.

Authors Note: I'M BACK! PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THE FIRST BOOK IN 'THE PATRIOT' SERIES! PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE! LOVE YA! ;)