Chapter Seven: The Legend of the Wendigo

Start from the beginning

Kade ran as another gunshot rang out and it became clear who exactly the target was.

Kade let out a small yelp as his hand flew up to his shoulder where the bullet buried itself, doing his best to not stumble and to continue running.

He wasn't sure where Cyril ended up, but he was nowhere to be seen when Kade scaled a fence, briefly perching on the top of it as he caught sight of someone on the other side.

"Don't move." A voice boomed from the other side of Kade, making him cornered on the fence.

With his injured arm, he kept it latched onto the fence to help keep his pretty much perfect balance upright, the other pressed into the wound to keep from bleeding out right there.

"I told you I would find you again little Wendigo."

Kade didn't really recognize the voice that spoke, but he definitely remembered the blonde mullet of hair that shone on the boy who emerged finally from the shadows, holding a sniper rifle that is undoubtedly what was just used against Kade twice.

"Well you're still a terrible shot." Kade snorted, finding in himself the nerve to try to be spiteful.

"And you haven't grown much." The boy scoffed. "Come down before me or my companion on the other side shoot you."

"You don't want me to come down." Kade said. He had been hurt way worse before, and had done so much more damage than hurting just one person under such conditions.

The boy didn't seem to like that comment so much, as instantly the air echoed with another gunshot.
Kade's reflexes had him already on the opposite side of the fence, so the bullet went through the wooden fence, scraping the same arm that had already  been shot.

He seethed, remembering just then of the other person on this side of the fence.

Kade didn't have time to prepare himself for anything before the man had him in a chokehold.
He couldn't even get enough air to scream as the other man came from the other side of the fence.
The one holding him in chokehold had Kade from behind, was much taller and stronger than him to boot.

"You're much much smaller than I thought." The boy with the blonde hair sneered, reaching up to pull Kade's hood and mask down.
For a minute, the boy raised his eyebrows, as though surprised to see the face underneath that was the Wendigo.
  "You're such a pretty boy you know that?"

Kade scowled, his one uninjured arm holding onto the man's one around his neck, who's hand clutched Kade's injured shoulder, his blood dripping down his hand.

"You really should smile more, then maybe people would like you and you wouldn't have to kill people just to be around someone." The blonde one continued, trying to get Kade to say anything, though he wasn't going to give him the pleasure.

He just needed the blonde one to stay focused enough to not notice that Kade's injured arm had pulled out a knife from one of his many pockets.

"Awe c'mon, does the little boy not want to have a little fun?" The blonde one sneered, stepping so close that Kade felt pinned between both of their bodies.

The claustrophobia didn't get any better, sending Kade's heartrate through the roof, when he felt a hand on his side.

By instinct, Kade snapped, taking the knife and plunging it into the hand of the man holding him hostage, using the other one to kick off of, knocking the captor to the ground, crying in pain.

He was silenced within seconds.

That left only the blonde one as far as Kade could see.

Anger flashed over the blonde's face as he lunged, roaring out loudly, grabbing Kade's forearm and twisting it upwards so his side was open.

Before Kade could react, the stinging venom of a knife made Kade's eyes stretch wide.

His hip screamed at him, the warm red splash of his own blood coating his leg as he fell down to his knees.

"All it takes is one good hit to get you down." The blonde sneered, gripping Kade's face to angle it up at him.
"Not so powerful are you now dollface?"

Kade spit a mixture of saliva and blood at him, earning a kick to his side that sent him rolling over the grass, coughing up blood.

"You're not allowed to die yet. I have so much more planned for you for revenge for my friend's lives."

Kade couldn't see anything clearly anymore as the world spun, vertigo making it impossible for him to move.

From the distance, Kade's ears latched onto someone's familiar voice, and hope ignited in him.

"CYRIL!" he shouted, once again, the blonde retaliated in anger, stepping on Kade's injured shoulder.

"Shut up." He hissed, pressing down, he grabbed Kade's face once again, making a blade of a knife curve into Kade's lip, leaving behind undoubtedly what would grow to be a permanent scar. A way to identify him.

Kade didn't care anymore, letting a scream rip from his body to try to wash out some of the pain that crashed through his veins.

His vision faded, letting him close his eyes briefly as the pressure released.

Moments later, he felt someone touch his face, much more gentle than how he was handled moments ago.

"Kade?" A whispered hushed voice broke through the silence of the night.

"I'm fine." Kade mumbled, though throughly struggling to get himself upright again.

Cyril's strong arm wrapped around Kade's back, doing his best to avoid the bullet wound.

Kade was vaguely aware that he was being carried now, hearing Cyril uttering curses under his breath, but Kade felt too tired to do anything about it.

He didn't have a choice as his consciousness pulled him under.

When Kade woke up again, he was on a familiar yellow sofa, a blanket covering him from the waist down.

He wasn't wearing a shirt aside from the binders, and with a pair of loose sweatpants and socks.

His hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail that only half of it actually fit into, the rest framing his face.

"You're awake." Cyril's voice was nothing short of relieved.

Kade winced as he sat up, seeing where his hip had been marred, was wrapped in bandages like a corset, as was his shoulder. His face was a whole different story of pain, specifically his mouth.

His hand went up to touch the spot on his lip that hurt the most, before seeing Cyril off to the side shaking his head.

"What's wrong?" Kade asked, his voice raspy from probably being asleep for a long time.

"It's all my fault- if I hadn't lost sight of you then you wouldn't have gotten cornered and-"

"Cyril stop. I told you I'm fine." Kade interrupted, though it was pointless.

Cyril jumped to his feet, pacing the room before leaning down, placing a hand on either side of Kade.

"No, you aren't. Stop saying that. I had to carry you all the way back here where you were out of it for two days straight. Two days you were unconscious and I had to keep you from bleeding out, and remove a bullet from your shoulder." Cyril sighed, sitting back on his heels to run his hands through his ratty untamed hair.

Kade's mouth flapped open, not knowing what to say.

"I couldn't just let you die." Cyril said after a moment. "I've already hurt one brother growing up, if something happened to you under my watch-"

"It's nice to know you care. A lot. I hope you know that." Kade murmured, extending a hand to Cyril to squeeze it.

Cyril ignored it, taking Kade's entire person into his arms, pulling him into a gentle but firm embrace.

Kade sunk into the moment, letting his forehead fall to Cyril's shoulder, letting himself enjoy the feeling of being protected. If only for a moment.

-Bay Logan