Chapter 9: Trouble, Part 2

"I DON'T CARE what you think is about to happen, Student Caelo, you know what injuries Taryn is dealing with and there is no better place for her to heal than - oh!" Healer Haelle pulled up short just inside the room. Dean Myran, Stirla and Lyrai were crouched on the floor around Head Healer Morri's limp form, while Taryn tried to see what was going on from the bed and Orla attempted to keep little Starla calm and quiet despite the tumult.

"Morri!" Haelle dropped the pile of clean linen she'd been carrying and rushed across the room, using Stirla's shoulder to brace herself as she lowered to her knee. "What happened?"

As the men explained everything to the healer, Caelo slipped into the room and sidled up to Taryn's bed. "This looks fun."

Taryn raised an eyebrow while Orla shot her a chiding look. Caelo shrugged and turned to the cupboard at the side of the bed. "Are your things in here?" she asked, opening the door without waiting for an answer.

"No," Taryn growled, slapping the door closed. "I don't have anything here. All my stuff is still in our room."

"Perfect." The girl grinned. "Up you get then. Time to go home."

"Taryn's not going anywhere," Orla said, wincing as Starla wound her fist in her hair and yanked hard on her prize. Honestly, the Ihran's patience was a wonder to behold. Starla was being an absolute brat and Orla hadn't complained once. "She's injured."

"But that was ages ago," Caelo huffed impatiently. "You must be better by now."

Taryn waved her left hand towards her heavily bandaged and splinted leg. "See for yourself. Do I look better to you?"

"This is foolish." Caelo scowled. "Why hasn't Morri healed you? Where is he? I want a word. I know what kind of things he can do. This should be easy."

She half-turned to march out of the door and must finally have noticed the group huddled on the floor. Possibly because Stirla stood up at that moment, cradling the unconscious head healer in his arms. Caelo's mouth dropped open as she watched the captain carefully place him on the empty bed beside Taryn's.

"Healer Morri is somewhat indisposed right now," Taryn told her dryly. "You'll have to come back later to tackle him."

Caelo frowned at her. "This isn't funny."

"We aren't laughing," Orla said.

Caelo looked between the two of them and stared at Taryn's broken leg for a long moment. "You can't stay here."

"I can and I will," Taryn vowed. "I'm not doing anything to risk my chance of walking again. Broken bones aren't a joke, Caelo."

The redhead scowled and tugged on her lip, clearly thinking. Taryn didn't want to know what wheels were turning inside that devious mind. She doubted she'd like wherever they were leading.

A loud commotion out in the hallway distracted everyone before Caelo could finish plotting.

"I need to see the head healer now!" a loud voice commanded.

Orla dumped Starla on Taryn's bed and hurried to the door, right on everyone else's heels. Taryn thumped the bed in frustration and met her startled niece's eyes. Neither of them appreciated being left on the bed, but only one of them was allowed to cry about it. Starla wailed and flailed her feet, and Taryn wished she could do the same.

Except everyone was hurrying back into the room, along with Rhiddyl this time, who clutched a dark rag to her chest.

Reaching out to place a hand over her furious niece's mouth, Taryn barely even flinched when Starla bit her; she was too intent on the group surrounding the next bed.