05.| ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀɴɪᴠᴀʟ [2]

━━━ CHAPTER FIVE.
05. the carnival.
❝ I DON'T CARE ABOUT
HIM. ❞

THE CAR RIDE TO the carnival had basically been a karaoke carpool for the three girls in the back

THE CAR RIDE TO the carnival had basically been a karaoke carpool for the three girls in the back. While Matthew had been driving, the girls were practically singing their hearts out to whatever played on the radio. As they sang, Matthew turns to the side where he sees Rue singing and smiling. Part of him wondered if it was genuine happiness or was it drugs.

Rue truly did mean the world to the boy. Of course, him being close to Fez automatically meant he had a soft spot for Rue who tagged along to anything the two boys did. He would kill for her, for her happiness. To ensure her safety. That wasn't blood but he sure as hell loved her more than he loved his own.

With his eyes now back on the road, he pulls into the parking lot where the group gets out of the car. He walks up to the girls as he looks around.

"So meet me back here by 11. I'll give y'all a ride back." Matthew tells the girls. "Stay safe, check in with me." He glances at Lexi. "You're in charge."

Lexi snorts. "Got it."

Rue and Gia roll their eyes. And with that, the group splits up. Matthew searches around the park, of course looking for one person and one person only.

You guessed it.

Cassie Howard.

He walks towards the Chili booth which his parents had set up for the contest. As he's pushing past everyone he bumps into Cassie. She had teary red eyes, her mascara had almost been running.

"Cass, hey how are y— woah what happened?" He takes hold of her by her arms gently as he could take a good look at her. He slowly brings his hands up and wipes the tears from her eyes. "What happened? Was it McCay? What did he do?"

Cassie sniffles. "Nate asked McCay if we were in a relationship and he said 'we were just chillin' like he just said he loved me and then says this to his friends."

Matthew scoffs. "That fucking asshole. I'll beat his ass Cassie I prom-"

"—No! No." Cassie cuts him off. "No, it's okay. You know what, fuck him. I don't- I don't care about him."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

Matthew clicks his tongue while looking around the park. He hears his name being shouted, he turns to see his family. They had already announced the winner of the chili cook-off and of course, it was their father, Cal.

"Wait for me okay? I'll be right back."

Cassie nods and watches as the boy walks away. He makes his way towards the chili booth where he was greeted by his parents and Nate. They took pictures as the crowd cheered, congratulating Cal. As the clapping died down, there was still one person in the audience making sure they had been heard.