It wasn't long until they opened the door and the bell rang as they left. You took a deep breath and exhaled.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"So, this is a date?" Reiner smirked, he lifted his coffee and took a sip. Your eyes moved back onto him and you smiled, "Yeah, I hope you feel privileged."
"Oh, I do."

You and Reiner mostly talked about work and other things that interested you. That was until Reiner began to pry on something you didn't want to talk about.

"Connie mentioned that you and Jean know each other?" He raised a brow, downing the rest of his coffee. You tensed up at the mention of Jean's name, you gripped your cup and took a sip from your drink. "Yeah, we knew each other from high school." Reiner chuckled a bit, "Come on, Y/N. You gotta give me more than that."

You laughed a little at his comment, "It's clear you already know, but if you want me to tell you then alright. We were childhood friends and grew up together practically. During the last two years, we admitted we had feelings for each other. We went out on a few dates but we never made it official. Eventually, we parted ways as we were going off to separate colleges and fell out of touch."

"Ah, I see." He plainly says. "Why do you ask?"
"It just saw when we were dancing that you were looking over at Jean and it seemed like there was history, so I was just wondering."
"What? Jealous?" You tease, he laughs a little and takes another sip of his coffee. "No."

________

Reiner dropped you off at home, he said he would text you again to meet up.

You made your way into the apartment complex and up the stairs. You got to the door of your apartment and you could hear music blaring through. A bit of excitement crept in as it was one of your favourite songs.

[Hey, Alexa. Play 'TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME' By The 1975]

You grabbed your keys from your purse and opened the door to reveal Connie and Eren on the couch. Smoke had filled the air and the smell of weed became very present. Connie quickly noticed your presence and stood up, his arms spread open for a hug. "Ayo, Y/N! Nice of you to join the party!" You laughed a little, "I didn't know we were having one." He pulled you in and hugged you tightly, you winced and put your hands on his back. "I know this is like the second time we have met but I'm really fucking high." You laughed again at his actions, "That's okay."

"Alright, Connie. That's enough. You're suffocating her, no one wants that." Eren chuckled, Connie then let go of you and crossed his arms. "Go suck a dick," he retorted. "Gladly." Eren quickly responded without any hesitation.

You couldn't help but laugh, you looked around and couldn't see Hitch or Sasha. "Where are Sash and Hitch?" Your eyes averted back to the two.

"They headed out to get some food, 'cause we are starving," Connie said as plopped back down on the couch. "You mean you and Sasha are starving, Connie." Eren retorted, taking another drag from his joint. "You know what Jaeger, I don't even want to hear it." He dramatically raised his hand in front of Eren's face. He chuckles and looks over at you, "You want some?" His hand nodded towards you, signalling if you wanted a hit of his joint. You thought for a moment, the smell of the weed and the way he offered it to you brought a familiar feeling back. You never saw the harm in letting go every once in a while, considering how your day has gone so far. Maybe you needed this. "Sure," you accepted, taking the joint in between your index and middle finger.

5 years ago.

["Hey, Alexa. Play 'Sunsetz' by Cigarettes After Sex."]

The evening sun shines down on you and Jean, your head resting on his shoulder as you both watch the sunset. The two of you sat down on a bench that viewed over a river by where you lived. It was quiet, birds were chirping and the sound of the river rushing by filled your ears as you peacefully sat next to each other. The silence was broken as Jean started to speak, "I have an idea."
You raised your head and looked at the male, "What is it?"
"Obviously, it's okay if you don't want to, but I thought since we have finally finished finals. I thought it would be a good time to finally relax." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a neatly rolled joint. "Who did you get that from?" You laughed. "Thomas, I've told you this before, he knows people," He laughed as well. "So, are you down?"
"Absolutely." You grin.

He set the joint in between his lips and pulled out the lighter from his pocket. He flicked the lighter and lit up the joint, he took a drag and held it in for a few seconds. He blew out the smoke and held it out for you. "You want some?"

"Sure," You smiled and took a drag from the joint. "Who knew the angelic well-behaved smart ass named Y/N L/N would ever do such a thing." He chuckled, "And who knew the pretentious guy with a stick so far up his ass would finally let go and do something fun." You retorted jokingly, Jean laughed again. "I'm loads of fun," "Yeah sometimes." You laughed and nudged him, he nudged you back. "You're annoying," he takes back the joint from your fingers. "You love me."

His smile softened as you said that, his eyes not leaving your doe ones. "Yeah, I do."
"You're staring at me again with that look again," You motioned your index finger towards his face. "What look?" He takes a long pull from the joint. He was becoming nervous, it always made you feel butterflies when he did, and you always found it so cute. "That look that you always give me when I say 'I love you'. You know I mean it as a friend, right?" You lied. You wish it was a lie you could admit. You wished you told him that you did love him and maybe things could've been different.

"Oh yeah!" He laughed, his nerves still present. "Of course, I know."

You sat there for hours watching the sunset go down, together as you always were.

If only you had said 'I love you'. Maybe everything would be different and you wouldn't feel envious of the way Jean is now with another.

_______

hey guys, sorry this chapter is a bit shorter, I just wanted to get one up. So here you guys are but I promise you guys loads of drama next chapter 😍

Love you

Connect with me<3
-
TikTok - jeanscoolwife