he nodded, taking in your words.

"thank you, (name). i bet you really needed that."

"woo! yeah, i did!"

he gave you a genuine smile.

"by the way, how's your wound?"

"shit. i think it reopened." you groaned as you touched your wound through the white piece of cloth. "a wet bandage isn't good. i'm going to call room service for a first aid kit."

you slowly stood up, but nate quickly stood up, ushering you to sit back down.

"no, sit. i got it. let me take care of you for once."

"alright. i hope it's not once, though."

"i mean, i do owe you a lot."

he walked towards the telephone on the bedside table. he placed the phone in between his ear and shoulder, dialing buttons.

after making the call, he waited until there was a knock on the door. he thanked room service and brought the first aid kit with him to the couch.

your teeth clamped on your lower lip as he began unwrapping the bandage and treating the wound with the medical supplies. when you felt a burning sensation, you flinched.

"ah, crap! are you okay? maybe you shouldn't–"

you gave him the 'what did i just say yesterday' look.

"how are you coping with all of this?" he mumbled while he was rubbing petroleum jelly on your wound, but you heard him.

"living in the streets oughta give you that mindset. you need to be tough in order to survive. though i'm living quite well, i guess old habits never die." once your bandage was good as new, you changed the topic. "the map, nate? you're getting sidetracked."

"yeah, but after you tell me how it is now?"

an idea popped into your head.

"ow! ow! ow!"

"what? what? what?!"

whenever you joke around with him, his face was always priceless and they were always funny.

cue your laughter.

"oh no, you didn't do that. no, that's not funny. god, you almost gave me a goddamn heart attack."

you threw your head back, laughter increasing. "you've done much worse."

"i deserve that."

"you do."

"are we even?"

"not by a long shot." you looked down at the map. "so, tell me your progress."

"braddock isn't going to find the gold. well, not where she's looking anyway." he pointed at a place in the map called 'cala de oro'

"the treasure's somewhere here in cala de oro? not kiamba? that means we still have a chance?"

"correct. the captain left one final clue and sully seems to think that sam knew what the clue was and he might have tried to tell us what it is. these postcards are the only thing we've gotten from sam in the last ten years, so if he did try to tell us something, it has to be in these cards. for the love of god, please be trying to tell us something, sam."

"aaannnd?" you elongated the word.

"that's all i've got." he shrugged.

"could it be in the images?"

"or the writing like an anagram or a cipher."

you wanted to help nate, so you brainstormed. post cards... something in the post cards... writing... "maybe sam's post cards have secret messages or something? remember the invisible ink?"

"secret messages? secret messages!" he beamed at you as he recalled the invisible ink before using a candle since sam's lighter couldn't handle it anymore to light the bottom of every post card.

you were losing hope because the last card left may or may not have a secret message on it.

he lit the bottom of the last card that read 'there's a whole world you haven't seen, but you will' and there it was, the final clue, and your hope was restored.

'they keys are your compass'

you handed the keys to nate.

"some compass, my ass." he was confused until something shiny caught his eyes "could it be the jewels?" then, he removed one red jewel of the first key and one blue jewel of the second key.

"blue goes there." he pierced the needle where the blue jewel was on the compass rose and he did the same for the red. "and red goes here."

he moved the keys like a compass, setting them down on some island nearby.

"we did it!" you squealed, jumping on nate without a warning, hugging him. "i got a little too excited." when you retracted, he found himself missing the warmth of your body on his.

"okay." he cleared his throat. "i'm going to write the geographic coordinates down." he whipped out his phone, the resort's notepad and pen.

done writing the coordinates he searched on his phone, he ripped another paper from the notepad and wrote... fake coordinates?

"why do you have two coordinates?"

"the fake coordinates is for chloe just in case."

oh, you forgot about chloe's existence.

she would definitely sneak in your room to steal the map and the keys, so she could keep the treasure for herself. she would do that with your guards down like early in the morning you presume.

"the real coordinates will be in this bottle." he rolled the paper and put it inside a green bottle.

you couldn't believe that you and nate found the location of the treasure. it was exciting.

a/n:

ew what is this dialogue? this is like the fourth time i've complained about my writing. anyways, things are gonna get spicy next chapter. stay tuned!