iced caramel latte ➴

╔═══➴.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗
chapter one || hayden's pov
╚═══➴.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

"i'm on break aren't i?" i turn to the cafe manager and smile innocently.

"no, hayden. you're not. you literally just came back from your break. get to work, kiddo." she walks back into the interview room.

now don't take that in a bad way. my manager was rather nice comparing to other ones. and in her defense, i really had just come from my break. working as a barista was surprisingly fun. somehow i managed to land the manager that was amazing.

i hear the door chime as a tall boy walked in. me being somewhat of an observer noticed his mask before anything else. it was a simple polyester mask- half gray, half white. there was a small crown embedded on the gray side.

"what can i get for you?" i wipe the counter with a rag and throw it over my shoulder. the boy's voice sounds rather deep but his eyes look about the age of seventeen.

"could i get an iced caramel latte? hold the coffee."

i laugh softly but nod. "sure. coming right up." with the slight turn of my body, i face the various machines used to serve our customers. i can feel him watching me, so i decide to strike a conversation.

"have you ever thought about calling it 'carmel' instead of 'caramel'?" my back still turned towards him.

the boy eyes me suspiciously and shrugs. "i dunno. i grew up calling it 'caramel' because i had a friend who introduced me to the word. the coffe's for him, by the way."

"that's cool, i guess. i just like saying 'carmel' cause it has less syllables."

"yeah. can you write 'nich' on it for him? spelled n-i-c-h."

(DOES ANYONE GET THE REFERENCE TO SIGHT OF YOU?) [old drafted book (idk if its still on my profile)]

i nod and snap a lid onto the container. handing it to him, i see the look in his eyes. curiosity. i raise an eyebrow. why do you put smiley faces next to the name?"

"cause sometimes all people need is a small smile from a stranger. it's sort of a philosophy i have, but i'm assuming you don't have time for that?"

"mmm, maybe next time. bye, hayden."

i open my mouth to speak before he points at my name tag. he grins and walks out the door with a small wave. i can see him walking down the street- probably to his friends house.

the rest of the day goes by slowly. mostly random customers. i find myself thinking about the tall boy who had come in earlier. i wonder if he lives around here...

before i get any further than wondering if his hair is light brown or dirty blonde, my phone starts ringing. the familiar sound of the instrumental for daddy issues plays for a few seconds before i answer the call.

"christopher? do you need something?" i can feel my small new york accent seeping out.

"nah. just wanted to check up on you- how's work going?"

as if you care.

"good, how about you?"

to be frank, i didn't even know what he did. i didn't care either. i don't know why or how i was dating him, it just happened one day. the call ended with him getting mad at me for spacing out and me ending it. (the call, not the relationship. sadly.)

『✧··✧✧··✧✧··✧』

a few hours later i was let out from work. now i sit in the car next to the only parental figure i have left in my life. aurelia henry.

well known influencer, content creator, and most importantly; my roomate. did i mention she was also friends with the famous dream team and niki nihachu?

"so how did work go today? anyone i need to beat up?" aurelia cracks her fingers and turns left.

"no..." i shrug but i assume she can still tell that somethings off. honestly, i just wanted to break up with chris. he didn't treat me well at all and didn't even know most common sense. this was our third fight that week. should i mention that it was only monday?

"chris again? you gotta break up with that sad excuse of a 'man'." she sighs. my leg starts unconsciously shaking and my breath halts slightly. "it's getting worse, isn't it."

my breath shakes as i try to slow my heart down. not being able to speak, i nod.

"let's get you home, kid. you'll be safe, i promise."

『✧··✧✧··✧✧··✧』

[happy birthday to me btw!!]

an: im gonna be honest, i didn't think i'd get into angst this quickly. i actually really like this chapter (wbu?). chr!s l0gan hate group amirite chat? anyways, stay swag and remember that mental health is more important than school!

votes and comments are appreciated!