Culture Shock

"You see there", Kelly pointed his finger on the window, "It's the Willis Tower. The highest building in Chicago."

"Das ist eine ziemlich große Stadt", Lina stated. Severide listened curiously, although he did not understand a single word. But he can imagine that Lina was amazed at the size of the city. The small German town with 21,000 inhabitants could not keep up with the windy city.

After landing, they picked up their luggage. Lina looked around curiously to the left and right side. There were so many people everywhere, speaking so many different languages. And she didn't understand a single word of them.

She silently followed her father and his girlfriend. One of her fathers friends - Joe Cruz - was standing in front of the airport to pick them up.

"What do you think about your new life in Chicago, huh? It's a big city, right? But if you really are Severide's daughter, you will love the city. It's your home after all."

Lina just looked at him confused. What did the bald guy say? Why did they speak so incredibly fast? She wondered if she should say something, but she didn't know a suitable English word. She turned back to the window. She looked at the many cars, people and skyscrapers. She didn't see anything green at all. No forest, no lake, no garden. How were people able to live in such a big city?

The driver stopped at a very tall building. Are they even right here? It looked more like an industrial building. No normal apartment building was around here.

"C'mon, kiddo", Her supposed father and his girlfriend or (where they engaged? She did not know that fact) led her into the building. The apartment was on the top floor.

"Kitchen and Living Room", Stella said. Wasn't there a hallway with a cloakroom? Why did they keep their shoes on? Stella and Kelly showed her a door, which Stella opened, "This is your room", Stella smiled, "Do you like it?"

There was a large queen bed in the middle of the room. A built-in wardrobe and a desk on one side of the room. A bookshelf and a seat on the window side. There were no pictures on the white walls yet. The window wall side was even a stone wall.

Here and there was a subtle decoration with fairy lights and flowers.

Lina nodded. She missed her old colorful room in the attic. Once there are pictures hanging on the walls, she will surely like her new room.

"You can be honest with us. Is anything missing?" Stella asked. Lina noticed that Stella usually spoke to her and Kelly mostly stood by silently. Maybe he didn't want a daughter at all? Or did he feel bad that they only met 11 years later? Or did he just not know how to deal with her?

"Photos," Lina said.

"Yeah course. If you want we can go out shopping!"

"It's Sunday" Lina stated.

"That's right? So do you want to buy new pictures or do you want to hang around here?"

"No shopping. Sunday. All closed."

"Uh no?!" Stella looked at her in surprise. Since when are the shops closed on a Sunday? The Walmart is always open.

"I think you should settle in first. We can buy pictures another day", Kelly said.

Both Kelly and Stella left her room. Lina took the opportunity to discover her room better. There was even a staircase in front of her window. But how did she open the window? There was no handle to open it. Was that a child lock so she wouldn't run away? Lina didn't even like the view. From her old window she saw the castle, the small houses and alleyways and above all the big park. But here she only saw a street and the building opposite.