Chapter 25 - Confer With Me of Murder and of Death

Start from the beginning

They both met Mona in her office, filled with a few awards and pictures of her teenage children. "Yes, Agent Riddhima? Do you have any more questions?"

Riddhima nodded. "You said that Lisa was sleeping with a married man."

"I told you that was what I believed," Mona admitted, "but Lisa never told me anything, it was just my suspicions."

"And yet she was talking to at least six married men," Riddhima pointed out, "and three of them donate to Safe Haven."

Mona looked over the list Riddhima gave her, slightly stunned. "She was in contact with a lot of donors, it is possible…"

"How many of them were her lovers?" Vansh asked casually.

The other woman was obviously pained by that question. Riddhima watched as her expression changed from fear to sadness and finally resignation. "Agent Riddhima, I know you can understand about this, how women react differently to the trauma of being raped."

Riddhima shook her head. "What does this have to do with Lisa's lover?"

"Many women react to being raped by closing themselves off entirely, not being able to trust men or even be able to be touched." Riddhima closed her eyes against the pain, the reminder that she had done just that. No one had been able to touch her, not the doctors or her brother…only Vansh. "Others have the opposite reaction. In an effort to prove that they are still in control of their bodies they are a bit…freer with themselves."

Riddhima shook off her feelings and considered what Mona said. "You mean Lisa was reacting to her sexual assault by sleeping with lots of men."

"I'm afraid so."

"She was sleeping with all six of these men," Riddhima stated.

"It's certainly a possibility."

Vansh and Riddhima exchanged looks but it was Vansh who asked about the other elephant in the room. "Which one got her pregnant?" Mona's shocked faced answered that for him. "Ah, you didn't know. But obviously you talked to her about a lot of things, including her lovers. Was there one that stood out, one that she seemed to care just a little bit more about? Has to be one of the donors since he was so important to her…one that you saw paid just a little too much attention to her or one she spoke about once too often." Vansh smiled that soft knowing smile. "Now can you do us a favor and tell us his name?"

Poor Mona didn't know what hit her, being mesmerized by Vansh Raisinghania was something no normal woman could overcome and Mona was no exception. She blinked a couple times and self-consciously tucked her hands together. "Paul Bryant, he is one of our more recent donors and he and Lisa were especially close."

"Paul Bryant," Vansh said nodding his head, "Thank you, Mona."

Mona didn't look quite as sure but did give him a tentative smile. Then her eyes flicked to Riddhima. "The rally is still going on, we plan to honor Lisa there."

"That's very sweet," Riddhima stated, feeling more than a little uncomfortable about the reminder.

"Many women will step forward and share their stories," Mona reminded her, "its part of the healing process."

Riddhima stared at the woman calmly. "Not mine."

She didn't wait around to have Mona try and convince her to go to the rally, she turned around and left the office having gotten exactly what she'd wanted. Vansh followed her with a slight dismaying shake of his head. "That was a good way to avoid it, not exactly subtle but the point was clear."

"Don't tell me you actually think I should go to that?"

"Yes I think you should," Vansh replied calmly.