Chapter 7.1 - Strike One

Angre knew he wasn't the only member of the team that was having a hard time keeping his mind off their boss's case. In fact, he was certain that every single one of them was living with that specter at almost every free moment. It wasn't something they could work past and not talking about it wasn't helping, this was something horrific that had happened to the small family they had formed. They didn't know where to go from here.

But he had to admit that it seemed like Vansh was the one who was taking it the hardest. It wasn't that surprising really, of any of them Vansh was the one who was hanging by a thread most of the time. But Angre knew what really had him concerned was that he was the one who was burdened with saving their boss and friend. Angre didn't envy him that task…he was glad that it wasn't him.

Sara was the one who was hopeful. She thought that Vansh was stronger than he thought. Maybe…Angre hoped so.

It didn't change the fact that they were all lying awake at night with a single thought repeating through their heads. They didn't have him yet.

It was during one of those moments where Angre got his idea.

He kept going over everything Vansh had said, because normally the man  was always right. That meant that the person who raped Riddhima had to be someone they knew. Someone who worked in law enforcement or was close with them. Someone who had problems in his life. And a problem with Riddhima.

That was the key. Someone who was angry at Riddhima.

Which is why he found himself heading up the courthouse where ADA Rohan Sinha had his office. Usually Angre's interactions with prosecutors were through a phone call with the exception of when a dissertation was needed for court. It was Riddhima who often had to talk to them whenever a case got messy or Vansh annoyed someone important. But he knew where Rohan worked and had met him once or twice and this was something that meant far too much for any nerves to overcome it.

He knocked politely on the door to get Rohan's attention. The prosecutor shut a drawer in his desk very quickly and looked up at him. "Agent Angre," he said evenly, "It's been a while." Rohan looked down, like everyone did whenever they met one of Riddhima's team members. "I would like to express my deepest condolences for Agent Riddhima Mehra. It's a real tragedy that something like this happened to someone like her."

Angre nodded. "Thank you," but his voice was a bit wooden, he hated talking about almost as much as he hated remembering it.

"May I ask how she is?"

No surprise that he would ask that, everyone wanted to know. But it was the hardest question to answer, a lie wouldn't work because it was painfully obviously false, but the truth was not something he ever wanted to admit.

"She's hanging in there," Angre settled for somewhere in between. It wasn't the truth but not quite a lie. Riddhima really was hanging on…by a very tenuous thread.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Rohan said as kindly.

"That's actually why I'm here," Angre said. Rohan immediately sat up straighter, eager to be of use to helping him. "We believe that the man who attacked Riddhima was someone at the fundraiser. Someone who works with us perhaps."

Rohan shook his head. "I cannot believe that it would be someone at the CBI…that is unthinkable."

"It had to be someone who knew she was a cop. He wouldn't have been able to have subdued her otherwise."

It took a moment for the truth to sink in before Rohan nodded reverently. "What do you need from me?"

Angre relaxed now, content that he was receiving the assistance that was necessary. "The man who attacked Riddhima must have had a reason. It's possible that he filed a complaint against her."