vi. fruit

CHAPTER SIX

SAYA & JAKE────────────' fruit '

SAYA & JAKE
────────────
' fruit '

— AS SAYA SAT AT A random table in the cafeteria, accompanied by Lily and Alex, her thoughts were entwined in a knot of frustration, for two reasons in particular; One, she and Alex had just left their Art class after being given an assignment she could only describe as dreadful, and was anything but enthused. Saya was never one to be exceptionally great in the realm of making personal connections in her art, which was just what the assignment entailed. The second cause of her despair was the yelling that perpetually plagued the canteen. She just wanted one day where she could hear herself think, but it seemed as though that day would never come.

Lily and Alex stared at their distraught friend, whose head had fallen onto the table mere seconds after sitting down. Alex was well aware of the source of Saya's problems, so he kept his mouth shut and let her fight through her emotions.

It was the same routine every time: she let her feelings take over every particle of her being for an hour or two before returning to her typical self.

Lily, however, had not been filled in on the events that had taken place in Saya's third class of the day. She eyed the despondent girl with concern, not knowing what was wrong with her.

"Is she alright?" Lily had turned to Alex, whispering her question as quietly as possible.

Alex nodded, humming as he shoved another spoonful of pasta in his mouth, "Mhm. She just thinks she's gonna do badly on our art assignment."

"I know I'm gonna do badly!" Saya mumbled, head still pressed face-down on the table, "Mr. Monté has a vendetta against uncreative people, I swear."

Lily went to say something, most likely something genuinely encouraging knowing the girl, but Saya had gotten up from the table before Lily could get her sentence out. "I'm going to the bathroom, don't expect me to come back before lunch is over."

As Saya walked away, her face displaying nothing but an indifferent sadness, Alex called out to her, "Don't forget to fix your make-up after you finish crying!"

‿‿‿‿

Saya's stomach pressed into the sink as she leaned against it, attempting to reapply her dishevelled make-up. She hadn't cried, as Alex had insinuated she would, but she had run her hands over her face enough times to ruin her mascara and eyeliner.

She felt encumbered by her thoughts. Assignments she had no inspiration for plopped on top of the uneasiness she still felt for Jake had been mixed together to form the most disgusting meal she's ever had. Although it didn't seem like all that much, Saya had never experienced these many contradicting emotions at once, and it was driving her crazy.