➢ CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 1996

It was a mistake. It was a mistake she shouldn't have let herself make.

Those were the words running through her mind, again and again, as she laid in Lev's bed. It was a mistake. It'd seemed like a good idea at the time. The perfect distraction, the perfect way to fix her and all her problems.

But it was a mistake. She'd taken advantage of Lev, used him to make herself feel better. How was she supposed to tell him that she didn't want to be in a relationship after this? It'd break his heart again.

She tried to think of what words she could say to try to soften the blow, but as she looked over at the still-sleeping Lev, those thoughts dissipated. He was just so beautiful. He loved her so much. And, looking down at the slight curve of a smile set on his sleeping face, she knew she loved him too.

Which meant she had to leave.

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17, 1996

(Y/N) had to come up with a plan. Something to throw him off course. He was getting too close to the truth.

He'd been asking, more and more, about coming to her place, meeting her mom. She couldn't let that happen. (Y/N) loved her mom, she really did. But she was a disaster. Mood swings at the drop of a hat, and her being unmedicated only made it worse. The worst thing would be Lev being there for an episode. He'd see her mom getting into it with her, screaming, crying, slamming her into a wall or throwing her against the coffee table again. And he'd never look at her the same.

So she had to do something. Lev was her place away from all the chaos of her home. He was her resting place. Her oasis, of sorts. And if he knew, he'd be too busy trying to fix it to distract her from it the way she needed.

(Y/N) needed something to change the subject. And when she saw him, talking and laughing with a girl she couldn't remember the name of, she thought of the perfect thing.

When Lev walked up to her, threw his arm around her shoulders, she ducked away, and looked at him with a scowl.

His smile fell into a look of confusion.

"What, so you can hang out with anyone you want, but the second I look at a guy too long, you don't want me around him anymore?" It was the only thing the two had ever really fought about. Lev got jealous very, very easy. Didn't like her being around other dudes. So she knew it was the perfect in for her.

"What are you talking about?" He looked around. "Do you mean Leah?"

"I don't care what the fuck her name is." She made herself roll her eyes. "I wanna know why you have such a double standard. Why you can do whatever you want, but I can't." She didn't care one bit about Leah or whatever the girl's name was. She didn't even really feel annoyed about the double standard, though she knew she should. All (Y/N) cared about was diverting his attention away from seeing her house and meeting her mom.

"Listen, (Y/N), I don't care anything about her. She's just my partner for the Government project I'm working on."

But she couldn't allow herself to let up. "Oh, that's funny, because when I had a Chemistry lab partner a couple months back, you didn't want him around without you there, too."