Part 3: Reflections

Mr Snake watched the heart monitor. The device was hooked up to Mr Wolf's chest as he lay on a hospital bed. The line went up, then down, then up again. Snake glanced at his friend and half expected him to open his eyes. "Wolf..." Snake rasped.

He raised his tail and placed it on Wolf's paw on the bed. "I... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry I bit you... I was angry, and I wasn't thinking straight..." Snake immediately removed his tail from Wolf's paw as Mr. Shark opened the door and Ms. Tarantula scurried into the room.

Snake didn't look at her. Instead he fixed his eyes on the heart monitor again. "You doing ok...?" Tarantula asked.

Snake didn't respond right away. Instead he flicked his tail. "Hey, Webs..."

Ms Tarantula scurried up to Mr Snake's side. "Do you... wanna talk about what happened at the jail?"

Mr Snake sighed. "I don't know what happened, Webs... I felt betrayed and I just... I couldn't hold back."

"You attacked Wolf and bit his eye."

The Eastern brown snake turned to the spider. "Uh... thanks for reminding me, Webs."

"I'm sorry," Ms Tarantula told him. She fixed her gaze on their leader. "You think he'll be ok?"

"The doctors said they don't know yet..." Mr Snake and Ms Tarantula both went silent. It's my fault... It's my fault... The words kept repeating in Snake's mind. It's my fault... He turned away and slithered out of the room.