Chapter 34: Merry Christmas

Comenzar desde el principio

"I intend to update my Lord tomorrow during the meeting. Why not wait until then? Unable to practice a bit of patience, Potter?"

Harry didn't even bother reacting to the pathetic attempt to rile him. "I won't be there tomorrow, I have plans."

"The Dark Lord is allowing you to leave a pre-scheduled meeting?" Snape asked, his eyes flicking to the Christmas tree and stockings once more.

"Well yeah, he can't demand my time," Harry frowned. "I'm my own person. And it's not like I attend all the meetings anyway. Besides, this meeting is a pre-scheduled Necromancy thing. Trumps what Voldemort does. Now, updates."

"The Headmaster is rarely at the school," Snape began, clearly eager to get this meeting over. "Especially in the recent months. His injured hand is becoming harder to conceal and the students are noticing his absence."

The hand again, Harry thought with a frown. Marvolo had refused to speak more on it but Harry was becoming more and more convinced that it was somehow connected to his attempts at preventing death.

"Has he said why he's gone?"

"He hasn't spoken to anyone that I'm aware of, though it is my belief that he will start including Longbottom in the coming term."

Harry nodded, his thoughts spinning as he tried to understand and predict the Headmasters' actions. It was a hopeless cause though because even when he was in the Headmasters' favor Harry hadn't been able to understand the man. Hopefully, Neville would have more information after the new year.

"Where do the teachers think he is?"

"You don't wish to know what the students think?"

Harry waved a dismissive hand. "I'll get the students' opinions in a few days, and no offense but theirs will be a more accurate depiction than yours will be."

Snape pursed his lips but didn't argue. It was strange, Snape just accepting Harry's comments and not offering scathing retorts. Harry wondered how much of it was out of fear of Voldemort and not wanting retribution for potentially upsetting an ally and how much was actually out of respect for Harry himself.

"They believe he is gathering forces to discredit yourself."

"And what do you think?"

"I believe discrediting you is a primary goal of his, however, I don't believe his outings are a direct relation. I believe he is still working to bring down the Dark Lord, how he believes to do this I know naught."

Harry nodded. Snapes' analysis made sense. A cold chill prickled his skin at the very thought of Dumbledore succeeding in bringing Marvolo down. He knew Dumbledore wouldn't succeed. He couldn't. Harry wouldn't allow it.

"I think you're right. If he was trying to discredit me, he would be doing more things with the Wizengamot but he's been pretty quiet on the political front. Alright, good, anything else? Oh, why did he make you Defense Professor instead of Potions?" It was a staffing change that Harry had never actually understood. Snape was one of the youngest Potions' Masters in recent years, maybe decades, and sure he had wanted the Defense potion but resume alone, there would be few to out place him for the Potions' position.

"I am more than qualified for the Defense position," Snape said sharply, sitting stiffly and sneering.

"I'm sure you are," Harry placated. "Just saying, you're also a Potions' Master. From my understanding, there aren't a lot of qualified Potions' Masters in the UK. Who replaced you?"

"Horace Slughorn, the man who taught Potions while I was a student. Dumbledore convinced him to come out of retirement for this year specifically."

Harry frowned. What was Dumbledore's reason? Why would he pull a man from retirement to take a staffing position that was already filled? It made no sense. He tugged at his hair in frustration. There was something about Horace Slughorn that Dumbledore needed or wanted, Harry was positive. Something that meant the man needed to be in the castle, under Dumbledore's eye or protection. But why would Slughorn need protection when he was in retirement? What could the man know and why did what he knows only now become important? He would have to talk with Marvolo and bounce some ideas off of him. Maybe they could figure it out and start planning how to head Dumbledore off before he got started.