"Surprise!" I heard a mixture of voices. Standing there in the break room was my mum, Terri, Bindi holding Grace, Chandler, Cait, and her mum with a small cake in the centre of the table.

"What?" I asked, turning to look at Robert.

"Well, this is what I had to get from the break room! Cake!" He exclaimed, going towards the table with the cake.

"Well, Cait came over this morning and suggested it," Terri said.

"I know you didn't want a big fuss for your birthday, with everything that has happened lately, but I wanted to at least do a cake for you!" Cait said.

"Aw, that's very sweet of you guys! I appreciate it," I said, also walking towards the table so I could sit down. My leg was feeling kind of sore, but not hurting too bad but I could tell I needed to sit and probably prop it up on a chair, which I did as Terri started cutting the cake. It was a plain vanilla cake with a chocolate cream filling. The icing was a gradient of blues, dark at the base and light on the top.

After the cake, we all sat around and talked about our days. Robert and I told everyone all about our day, while they filled us in on what's happened around the zoo today, which was the usual stuff without any big or dramatic events or cases.

"Well, would you like to go home now? You can shower and clean up," Robert said.

"Yeah, that would be great. My leg is feeling today a little," I said, standing up. "Thank you so much, everyone! For the cake and the surprise, but I have got to shower and rest for a little bit."

We said our goodbyes and Robert and I got into his car and left.

"Here," Robert said as we pulled in, "I'll walk you inside, I can carry your stuff."

"Oh, Robert it's alright, really."

"No! It would be my pleasure. Plus there are stairs and I wanna make sure you get up to your room alright," he insisted. I knew there was no point in arguing with him- he cared deeply and there was no changing that or convincing him you were fine without his help. That's the kind of person he was.

Robert helped me inside and up to my room. He carefully set my backpack down on the bed as I sat next to it and started taking things out.

"Your leg is a little swollen looking, Ash," he pointed out. I looked down and sure enough, my leg was swollen slightly.

"Oh, would you look at that, it is. I'll take a cool shower and some Tylenol and keep it propped up for a bit and draw or watch TV for a bit," I replied.

"Good, and I'll check on you soon, alright love?" He said, standing in front of me. I nodded simply, smiling up at him. I stood up so he can hug me.

"See you, be safe," I said as he walked out of my bedroom.

I got everything put up from my bag, and tossed my bag on my desk chair. I slowly got up and turned the water on in the shower. I grabbed some clothes, underwear and a loose top and a pair of sweats since I wasn't expecting to go anywhere else today. I set my clothes on my bathroom counter and undressed, tossing my dirty clothes in the laundry hamper. I took some Tylenol before jumping in the shower.

I washed up, making sure to be careful with my leg. I was starting to feel better while showering, and the cool water and Tylenol seemed to help my leg.

I got out of the shower, dried off and got dressed. I checked my phone which was on the counter, and it was already a little bit after 7 p.m. I tossed some more hay in the guinea pig cage and got cozy on my bed, making sure to keep my leg elevated while I played some games on my switch with it connected to the TV.