25: Ric & Jo's Wedding

Start from the beginning

"Hey, where's Jo? Is she–?"

"She's okay," I assured him. "Thank god, because I tried to feed her my blood but it didn't work."

"What do you mean it didn't work?"

"She didn't wake. Didn't drink."

"She was unconscious, it happens. If you waited a little longer, I'm sure it would've been fine."

"Yeah, but I couldn't risk it. She's pregnant and I was worried for the ba–"

"She's pregnant?" He cut me off, brows raising.

"Yes," I whispered, holding back a grimace. I forgot he didn't know. I'm surprised he didn't but, how could he? I didn't tell him. He's not exactly in Ric's good graces yet either. He doesn't know Jo. And well, he's been on everyone's bad side honestly. "With twins."

I watched his face carefully as he processed everything. From shock to acceptance to more shock. "Wow, congratulations to them," he said, looking at me with an unsettled smile.

"You want a baby," I stated, reaching out to place a hand on his delicate cheek. "I know, Stef. I do too actually." His eyes widened and he started to grin. Oh, that beautiful smile and those perfect teeth. Making him happy made me happy.

"Oh, Stefan!" A shout came, interrupting our moment.

"Elena," Stefan frowned, looking between us.

"We'll talk later," I whispered, unable to fight my own smile. I kissed his cheek then snatched my nephew from him. "Hi, handsome!"

Stefan stood up to speak to Elena, "Hey."

"Is he around?" She whispered.

"No, he needed some time to think."

"That sounds very ominous," she said.

"You talked to Damon?" I growled, narrowing my eyes on my husband, "Really, Stefan?"

"You said no fighting today," he told me, point at me as well.

I shook my head, rolling my eyes. "Fine."

"You don't want him to take it, do you?" Elena asked gently, placing a hand on his arm.

"Remove your hand or I'll rip it off you," I warned her. They both looked at me in disbelief but she surely, dropped her hand. I smiled at them while my twin scoffed.

"It's not up to me," Stef answered her, hands in his pockets as she shrugged.

"Stefan, I'm not him," she chuckled. Clearly like I, she saw right through his feigned indifference. In his defense he was right. It's not up to him. And who would expect him to want his brother to take a cure and leave him for eternity. "You can tell me how you really feel."

"Look, of course I don't want him to take it. He's my brother. The thought of losing him is..."

"Yeah, I know. So, what do you think he's gonna do?"

"Well, you guys never knew Damon as a human," he said, looking from her to me. "He was aimless. Always searching for something more. Sweet and earnest to a fault, but never strong. That came later, when he found himself, when he truly became Damon. He loves being a vampire, and I just don't think he'll ever give that up."

Elena sighed, nodding, "I don't want him to give it up and regret it or resent me."

They didn't give Damon enough credit. He wasn't a child, he knew that this was a big decision. But he made his choice. He was sticking by it. I don't know how you can love someone and yet when they want to spend their life with you, reject it? Why wouldn't my sister want him to take the cure. I get having some doubt, but it was like she said earlier, she was killing her relationship, making Stefan try to talk Damon out of this. It was insane and insensitive. He's willing to give up something so big for her and all she does it make a con and con list. There were no pros. But they both failed to realize one thing: she was his reason. She was the one pro. That was enough.