Chapter 14 - Kindness is Your Blade

Start from the beginning

I'm selfish.

I know, Mother.

But this is for Ayato.

This is for Ayaka.

This is for Inazuma.

I crawled into bed, a stray tear trickling down my cheek.

----------------------------------------------*:・゚✧------------------------------------------

At dawn, I rose, and my maids were jolted from their sleep, hurriedly rushing to prepare my breakfast and dress me for the day.

"There will be no need for such ruckus," I beamed, clasping the hand of one of the chambermaids, who was rushing to light a fire in the hearth. "Everyone, you may have some time to chat amongst yourselves in the servants' quarters. Dismissed."

"Yes, Your Grace!" they replied in unison, scurrying away.

I drew a hot bath, soaking in the steaming water and letting it wash away my impurities.

When I was young, my nanny would wash me with scented soap that smelled like peaches and tell me stories of princesses and knights in shining armor, tales of fairies and sirens and transcendent beings, and legends of the Raiden Shogun and her noble deeds.

Stepping out of the bath, I dried my body with a towel, allowing myself only a spritz of rosemary perfume before retrieving a dress from the closet.

I chose a flowy, lilac dress with a wide neckline and a waistline that ended just beneath my bust. The sleeves were loosely-sewn, and its length reminded me of the furisode kimonos I would wear to important ceremonies in Inazuma. From what I had noticed, the tail of the dress would likely drag on the ground behind me, but that would only showcase that I was not the kind of lady to pick up my skirts and run at the sight of filth.

Wearing only a simple pair of diamond earrings, I exited the room, descending the stairs.

Today would be a day free from Childe, free from the Tsaritsa, free from Scaramouche, free from everyone. Today was about me.

----------------------------------------------*:・゚✧------------------------------------------

"Your Grace, we should send bodyguards--"

"Thank you, but it will be unnecessary," I assured the footman. "I can take care of myself."

I stepped off the carriage, shocked at the view I was witnessing.

The slums were piled high with snow and mud, and hordes of people, old and young, crowded around a miniscule fire that could hardly warm them. What meager food they had was provided for the children, while the elderly starved themselves.

It was a familiar sight that broke my heart, not the heart of Lady Columbina, but the heart of Kamisato Rin.

As the commoners saw me approach, they shrunk back in fear, some of the women holding their children and darting in front of the able men.

They think I'm drafting their men into the military . . .

"Good morning," I beamed. "I come in peace, and I offer you a donation. As a Fatui Harbinger, I believe that it is my duty to keep you and your families safe from harm."

Calling my maid over, I ordered her to bring me the food I had purchased.

One by one, my servants brought out platters of rotisserie hens, honey-roasted beef, sauteed vegetables, soft-boiled eggs, baked potatoes stuffed with cheese, and cakes garnished with powdered sugar and sliced fruits.