Chapter twenty-five.

We walked out of the case, still in the attic of the department store and disapparated to the rooftop we were on earlier, we had a clear view of the chaos below us, Jacob was the first to break the silence, "Jeez.. is that the Obscurial thing?"

"It's more powerful than any Obscurial I have ever heard of.." Newt stated.

There was a loud explosion in the distance, followed by faint screams, the city was under attack, I met Newt's eyes and I saw a decision happen within the ocean blue hues. He sighed heavily, looking back out for a second before he handed me his case and journal, "Stay here, stay safe and look after everyone for me."

I grabbed his sleeve before he could go, "No! If you go, I go."

"I don't trust anyone else with them." He stated.

"I don't trust anyone else to protect you!"

He smiled softly, he cupped my cheek, and placed a light kiss to my forehead, "I'll see you on the other side."

With that he was gone, I screamed out his name as loudly as I could, I turned and thrust the case and journal to Queenie, "You heard him, look after them. I will come back for them with Newt."

"I'll come with you." Tina stated, a silent vow in her eyes as I met them with my own.

I nodded and jumped off the roof, apparenting to the streets below, I found Newt amongst the rubble, I rushed to him and grabbed his hand tightly, he looked at me in shock, "I thought I told you to stay there."

"You know I never did well with orders." I quipped, drawing my wand.

His eyes shone with admiration and something hidden as he looked at me, before he could reply to me, we were blasted by an explosion of power, we were thrown back slightly, Tina appeared beside us, Newt shouted over the chaos, "It's the Second Salemers boy. He's the Obscurial."

"He's not a child." Tina shouted over the chaotic noise.

"I know—but I saw him—his power must be so strong—he's somehow managed to survive." Newt shouted.

"That's amazing." I breathed.

"Newt! Rosaline! Save him." Tina shouted, watching as the Obscurial screamed.

Tina dashed towards Graves, her wand drawn, Newt grabbed my hand tightly meeting my eyes, "You ready?"

"Lets save him." I shouted.

We disapparated from sight, landing on a rooftop beside Credence, we continued to jump from rooftop to rooftop, dodging the damage from the Obscurial and the Auror's that were chasing him, throwing spells at him from all directions. They continued to attack Credence, me and Newt were nearly hit many times as we continued on, I started to shout out, "Credence, stop this! We can help you."

He didn't listen.

He carried on down the street, leaving black-snow like particles in the air, as the Auror's carried on blasting spells at him, there was a vicious display of power from Credence, Newt pulled me into a small alcove on one of the roofs, looking on in desperation at Credence, "We can't let him die, Newt."

"We won't, not this time." He whispered.

We apparented to the top of a skyscraper, looking down as the Obscurius tore through the city, I watched in horror as it rose straight up into the air and then slammed down into the ground with a spectacular roar, the ground split open as he slammed down into the subways. I grabbed Newt's hand tightly, I gave him a long look and apparented us into the City Hall subway tunnel, there were signs of the Obscurius already having been there, deep gashes in the walls from where he slammed into them on the way down. We creep down the platform, Newt was still gripping my hand, keeping me behind him as we went down, further towards the Obscurius, which was clinging to the ceiling of the subway.

It was calming down in the silence of the subway, we got as close as possible, without altering him, we were hidden behind a large pillar, Newt took a deep breath before he started to speak, "Credence.. its Credence, isn't it? We're here to help you, Credence. We aren't here to hurt you."

"We want to keep you safe from everyone." I added, my voice shaking a little.

Newt stepped out from the pillar, still holding my hand he helped me down on to the tracks, I could hear footsteps coming towards us, we didn't have much time. When I looked back at the Obscurial, I could see Credence amongst the swirling mass of black, he was curled up in a ball, his face hidden from us, he was scared.

"We met someone like you, Credence. A girl—a young girl who had been imprisoned." Newt started.

"She was punished for her magic, she was locked away from everyone and the people who were meant to love her, they tormented her, you aren't alone, Credence." I called out.

I watched as the Obscurial faded away, leaving him curled up on the tracks, he was frightened, cowering and seeking someone to believe in him. Newt crouched down to Credences level, making a tiny spark of hope register on Credence' s face as he watched us, "Can we come over to you?"

"Can we please, we won't hurt you, Credence?" I asked, crouching beside Newt, a soft smile on my face.

Credence didn't respond, Newt slowly stood up, taking my hand again and leading me slowly down the tracks towards Credence, before we could reach him, Mr. Graves came towards us, his wand drawn. Before we could attack him first, Newt was shot back down the tracks, making Credence retreat further into the tunnel, I stood for a second, my wand drawn, but before there was a spell in my mind, I was shot back into a pillar, he shot one again, but I managed to roll out of the way of the spell. Newt started to throw spells at Graves, all of which were easily deflected, Graves paused for a moment, looking back at me as I went to cast a spell at him, he threw a spell to me, trapping me against the pillar behind me.

Graves cast his attention back to Newt, who stands in front of a cowering Credence, he is watching me, I nod to him to let him know I am alright. I could feel the magic around me weakening as Graves cast more spells at Newt, but before I could get free, Newt is pushed to his back on the tracks, Graves casts spells upon spells at him, making Newt writhe in pain, not being able to get away from him. I screamed loudly, magic erupting from within me, making the invisible force around me shatter and crashing me to the ground, I drew my wand again and began to hit Graves with spell after spell, trying to get him to back down. He hit me with a spell, sending me back against the floor beside Newt, I pushed myself back up, standing in front of Newt and Credence; he was not going to win this duel. Graves turned on me then, his look manic and crazed, he began to hit me with the same spell as he had Newt, sending me down to the floor, both of us now writhing in pain as he attacked us with spells. I looked back for a split second to see Credence beginning to shake, he was being absorbed by the black mass within him, I mustered up the energy to scream, "Credence, No!"

As I screamed in pain and Newt shouted in pain, Credence was fully absorbed into the black mass, the Obscurial rose up into the air, and blasted itself down the tunnel towards Graves. Graves seized his attack on me and Newt, he fell to his knees bellow the black swirling mass, pleading out, "Credence."

Newt helped me from the floor, watching in horror as the Obscurial dove down towards Graves, he only just managed to disapparate in time. The Obscurial continued to blast through the tunnel, destroying everything that was in his path, the three of us began to apparate and disapparate around the tunnel, out of the way of the black tentacles coming towards us. There was a giant wave of power from the Obscurial, covering the entire tunnel before shooting up through the roof, crashing up through the pavement. I moved under the hole and watched as he created a large disk of energy before hurling back down, Newt grabbed me and disapparanted out of the way before I was crushed by his power. We were all worse for wear as we kneeled on the tracks, watching as the Obscurial powered up to attack us once more, I had no energy left to fight, leaning against Newt's shoulder, blood seeping from a gash on my forehead from when I was thrown into the pillar earlier.

"CREDENCE, NO!" Tina shouted, running into the tunnel with us.