The Others

It took a moment to fully process what had just happened. My heart was pounding loudly in my ears. I looked up past the swarm of boys to see the walls of the maze shut tight. My stomach dropped as I began to search for the other runners. It seemed the other Gladers had the same thought I did because the Glade soon became dead silent.

I struggled to stand, my knees were weak and shaky. Newt helped me up but didn't look at me. There was a horrible sadness that overtook every boys eyes, Newt's included.

I spotted Minho from across the sea of people. His face just settling into the realization that he had lost not only his team but his family and friends.

His frustration broke the silence as he beat his fists against the doors yelling. I watched in awe as he screamed and continued beating at the stone. Some other Gladers tried to calm him down but he ended up punching one square in the jaw.

Alby stood in the back of the crowd shaking his head. "Gladers get back to work," he said with such lack of emotion I thought he was being sarcastic. "Now!" He continued.

The others dispersed and went to gather around the fire. It was almost dinner time but I doubted anyone would eat. Hushed whispers were heard across the Glade as everyone left.

I couldn't move. I couldn't understand how the others didn't make it out. I also wasn't completely sure if I'd ever see them again. I knew the maze was unsafe but in truth, I didn't know exactly what darkness lurked there in the night.

I was standing alone, something I hadn't realized before. Newt and Alby were by Minho grabbing his arms and trying to calm him down. He wasn't yelling or shouting anymore. He was breathing heavily holding his head with bloody fists. Alby and Newt sat next to him against the wall saying nothing.

I figured I wouldn't be much help standing here awkwardly, so I turned around and began walking to one of the houses. I knew where the medjack Clint worked. I bet I can get some disinfectant from him and some cloth to help with Minho's hands.

I approached the shack and went inside. Clint was nowhere in sight but I saw a familiar face that nearly broke my heart. Little Chuck sat teary eyed on the examination bed. His was went red with embarrassment when he saw me enter.

"Oh, hello m'lady. What can I do you for?" He said weakly.

"I-I was just looking for some disinfectant and some bandages." I said pitifully.

Chuck hopped off the table and grabbed some of the medical items if asked for. He put them in a basket and handed it to me.

"Chuck I'm so sorry about the others, I don't know what happened" I said rambling trying to ease the suffering everyone felt.

"It's not you who needs to apologize, but would you do me a favor?" He asked sniffling.

I nodded eagerly wanting to help him.

"Could you maybe not tell the others about seeing me like this?" He said quietly.

"I won't tell anyone Chuck, don't worry." The young boy's favor was so sincere. All the Gladers had to act strong in front of each other. It was the only way to keep hope alive.

There was nothing more I could say or do, so I turned around and headed back to the walls.

Their friends dead and they couldn't even let themselves cry in front of others. Here in the Glade it takes a lot to break someone. I knew these deaths hurt but I knew there was only one person's death in the Glade that could break me forever.