Chapter 3: Brother Gerard

"Sister!" I heard someone call behind me. I'm not really known in the chapel because I just moved in, so I thought that the call wasn't for me. I continue to walk, slightly turning up may pace. 

"Sister!" He calls again, and now I hear footsteps coming toward me 

"Oh, so I guess it's for me," I said to myself. I turn around and see Brother Gerard. He has a huge smile while jogging up to me. 

"Hi, did I forget something?" I said, honestly curious cause why would he want to talk to me.

"Oh, no I just want to personally introduce myself to you. I'm Brother Gerard." He said with his hand out. I shook his hand, goosebumps started going up my arm.

"My name's Agatha, it's nice to meet you," I said after taking my hand. 

"So, you're a choir member? I can't wait to get to know you more and to work with you. Do you usually sit at the back" he asks. 

"Actually no. I'm not a Choir member yet... This is my first rehearsal. I guess I would be sitting in the back until my papers are done." I said looking at my phone, a notification popped up

Are you almost done?  My mom texts me. I felt him starring at my phone

"Oh, that's nice that you're joining the choir. It would be a real blessing to have a new addition. Since you'll be sitting at the back for now, would you mind if I sit near you? I like working listening to holy hymns, for some reason it keeps me calm and focused." He said looking at his hands. He looks embarrassed? is it about him asking to sit near me? or that he likes listening to hymns? We will never know.

God he already sounds like a 40-year-old minister 

"I wouldn't mind, I don't own the whole pew... YET." I said looking at him. He smiled 

"Sorry but I have to go home" I started to walk slowly.

"It's alright sister Agatha, see you next week indeed. Actually, is it alright if I get your number? since I'll be working with the choir. I want to get to know every single one of you guys."

Okayyyy... I thought he want to get to know ME more. Do men really know how to make someone special, don't they?

"Of course..." I told my number said my goodbyes and left the chapel. 

. . . . . .

"Im homeeeeeeee!" I screamed so that my mom can hear me. I put my bag down at our living room couch and looked at the clock 

3:37 PM

My sister should be home too... Great I can ask her about the trainees. I sat down and started scrolling through my Instagram.

While replying to one of my friend's messages a new notification pops up 

"Sister Agatha?" It says I have a feeling that this is Brother Gerard, but just to be safe I replied with

"Yes? Who is this?" I stood up, thinking that it would take him a minute or two to reply back. I went to my sister's room. 

"Yo, do you know that there are new student ministers in the chapel?" I said walking in her room. While scrolling through her phone she replied with 

"Yeah, why?" She finally looks up.

"I met all of them today. They look really young for someone who decided that they want to give up their lives to preach the words of God." I said. I'm still shocked about the system. Hats off to all the ministers that would do that... it's just not for me.

"They are young. The youngest I think is 21, the oldest I believe is around 24" My sister says, shes  back to her phone.

WOW... Yeah could never be me 

I left her room, and look for my phone in the living room. I finally saw it, and sat down. There was an unread message that was sent 3 minutes ago.

"Hi, it's Bro Gerard, the one that you talked to after the rehearsal?"  Oh, I completely forgot about him

"Hi, yes I remember!"

"So, do you usually make sure that you reply extremely slow so that they miss you more?" I am completely shocked by the informality... that's refreshing. 

"What? no no no... sorry I was doing something. What can I do for you Brother Gerard?"

"I just want you to save my number. I would probably talk to you about helping me with things in the chapel if that's okay with you. Sorry, I'm not really close with anyone here yet and you're the only one I know, kinda, so far..."

"Yes, of course. I wouldn't mind. I already saved your number too. Just let me know when you need me."

"Actually, if it's not a hassle, Is it alright if you help me tomorrow morning at the chapel? I can pick you up if you want." Damn, this man is very straightforward.

"I'll be there, you don't need to pick me up, is fine See you tomorrow."

I said, turning off my phone and going to the kitchen...

"Who were you texting?" My sister asks coming to the living room