Misery Likes Company

Start from the beginning

Large enough to ride by an adult, the four legged beast is covered in red scales and bony protrusions that resemble muscle tissue and bone with a highly bony spiky tail and its claws possess two rows of claws. It's small glowing blue eyes are set deep in its head, and its large maw and teeth poking out even when it's shut make it look like a savage beast that it probably is. Its skin is covered in blood, making it reek of death.

Slowly, it walks up to you and looks into your eyes. There's now more than just you who bears a curse. You put your hand out and touch the filthy familiar, feeling sorry for it. Despite what happened, it doesn't hold a grudge and nudges you with its snout, and you look at it sadly as you start wiping off the blood from it with your hands. "I don't even know what happened or what that familiar is. It worked out, so let's not get hung up on it. It looks great, big and strong! Scary, too!" Dali-sensei says, coming over to you and putting his hand on your shoulder with a smile to comfort you as he notices the emotions you feel. "C-Can I get something to wash it?" You say, trying to keep your voice from quivering. "Of course! I would go and get it for you, but the students can be mischievous and try to summon when I'm not here. Just go down that hall and to the left, you will find the janitor closer. I will wait with your familiar here." He says, and you follow his commands. You get back soon enough, and Dali-sensei watches you out of the corner of his eye as you get to work on washing the beast. As you rinse the cloth in the bucket over and over as you work, the water gets thickly red with blood so much that you cannot see the bottom. You have to get another bucket soon and continue like that until it's clean. It holds still for you and lets you work on it as much as you need, and when you finish the last part that is its front paws, you get a lick of gratitude on your forehead. You smile a little and pet it, but it doesn't quite reach your eyes. Afterall, those two must be in pain right now.

The same thing that happened to you doesn't happen to the others for obvious reasons, and the class soon concludes. "Great work on your summoning, everyone! I can see you'll be great students. Tomorrow you will be sorted into classes based on your performance today." Dali-sensei says, dismissing everyone. You turn to leave as well, but then feel the teacher's hand on your shoulder as he stops you. "[Y/N]-kun, right? Can I please take a look at your familiar? I find it interesting." He says, half lying to keep you calm but you can see right through it. "Of course." You say and he goes to your familiar with high caution as if afraid it could lunge at him at any second. Slowly and carefully, he manages to touch it and inspect it closer, highly attentive to its eyes and strange double amount of claws. "I never saw anything like this in the netherworld! I think you can name the species." He says, and you look at the beast. As you think, your mind goes back to its pain and the fact that it all happened because of your nature. "Kutsu." You declare, naming it after pain and agony. He nods in acknowledgment, and Kutsu grunts in satisfaction, walking over to you from the teacher and licking at you again, which you partially stop by covering your face with your arms. You hear the Oracle in your head as you uncover your face and look at the beast before you "It's grateful to have an identity and a name as a whole rather than just an abomination.". Your stomach drops at the term 'abomination', but you snap out of it and pet it once more before turning to Dali-sensei. "Um... Thank you, Dali-sensei for helping me through this." You say, bowing a bit. "No problem, it's what I do." He says, smiling at you.

You unsummon your familiar and leave for the school gate where your father waits for you. "[Y/N]! How did it go? What familiar did you get?" He asks, smiling at you. "I'll tell you at home..." you say, your voice betraying you by quivering as you speak. His smile drops as he notices this but doesn't push for answers and picks you up before flying you home. Once there, you explain the situation to him. Just like Dali-sensei, he reacts by praising you despite being worried. You can see it in his eyes, feel it by the way he moves. It's the ability to read people, but it's not what the Oracle wants to teach you. Not close.

You decide to go to bed early, and the Oracle sits at your bedside as you relax. "We can see you have issues falling asleep, so We'll tell you a story. A story about our previous hosts, the Erythrae. This face of ours is the reminder of who they were, powerful beings with the ability to split worlds and move in time. They accepted me as their savior and someone to lead them to greatness, our minds merged, and we became what you call a hivemind. Not everyone accepted the change, however, and instead they killed us. Many bodies surrendered to mortality, and when we were down to our last body, we managed to leave our realm and end up in this one, where you found us and rescued us. For that, we are eternally grateful. Our assailants must be dead at this point, as the world of ruin they built isn't enough to feed any of their hungry mouths as the bodies of others eventually rot and aren't edible anymore. Once the last one eats their last brethren, they will starve to death with no one else to feed upon." The Oracle tells, but this little bedtime fairytale just keeps you awake more than it lulls you to sleep. Erythrae? Hivemind? Splitting worlds and time travel? A god war? The thoughts echo in your head for a while.

When you wake up as the alarm rings once more, your head aches like hell. You didn't sleep well thanks to the Oracle. You don't see them as you wake up but go along with your routine and dad flies you to school. You bid your goodbye to him and go in past the student council and to your relief the Oracle manifests on your right. "I wonder if Kalego-sensei will keep his word. He is rather honorable, so I think that will be the case." They explain, smiling at you. You both make your ways to the common halls and are told the directions to get to the Misfit Class where you have been assigned to. The way to get there is into a cave system, past a garbage dump and then to a cold, broken down classroom. When you enter, weapons suddenly spring out of nowhere at you, a trap! "I got you." You hear in your mind, and your body moves on its own, getting you out the door again. All the weapons drop on the floor as the trap has been set off, and you walk inside to see the rest of your class.

"Aww, he didn't get hit by any! Pay up, Jazz-kun!" Whines the yellow haired demon you recognize from yesterday's summoning, and he's talking to a taller one with red eyes and spiky red hair, his distinguishing feature being the golden rings on his hands. "Hey there, you must be another classmate. My name is Gaap Goemon, nice to meet you." Says a male demon whose head is basically silvery yet white fluff with two eyes visible. "[L/N], [Y/N] [L/N]." You introduce yourself, shaking his hand. "Let me introduce you the rest, they are too busy betting." He starts "The yellow haired one is Lied, a gamemaster. The one next to him is Jazz-kun.". Then he points at a sleepy male with orange hair that reminds you of a mountain, following with a lion head and an owl demon "Those are Picero, Schneider and Kamui.". He follows up by pointing at a large blonde male who isn't dressed in an uniform and instead shirtless with just a cape that reaches his waist, then a pretty blonde demoness and a timid one with silver hair and glasses "Those are Sabnock, Elizabetta and Kerori.". Then he points out the last three at the back of the class "That's Clara, Asmodeus and Iruma.".

You flinch at that, Iruma-kun? The one who made all that mess yesterday? Oh no no no. You thank Goemon and take a seat at the side, not making any effort to talk to the three. Just as you see Jazz approach you, the door opens and in steps Kalego-sensei.

"Silence."