Chapter 10

After making the news of their union public, William arranged for them to return to the Neutral Kingdom and saw to it that the Neutral Kingdom would not be in conflict with the other kingdoms because of him.

The night before they left, William lay in bed his head in Nicky's lap as she sat up against the headboard stroking his hair after a nightmare.

"I'm sorry," he said dejected and ashamed.

Nicky looked down at him confusion in her gaze.

Understanding her look he continued. "I feel like I'm troubling you, you should be sleeping not comforting someone who hurt you in the past," he said averting his gaze.

Nicky frowned and stopped her hand that was stroking his hair. "It's fine," she reassured firmly. "how can I blame you for things you were forced to do? Besides, it is my duty as your wife to be your support and even if it wasn't I would still help you just like you would do for me."

William glanced back at her. "You don't blame me?" he repeated unbelieving. "How can you not blame me for my weakness?" he asked baffled. "Besides, even though I've been forgiven since a was merely a puppet, the world will now always see me as a potential threat."

Nicky's hand resumed and she looked him straight in the eyes. "I care not for what others think, everyone has their weakness and I do not blame you for yours."

Touched, William pursed his lips to not cry and turned to hug her slender, thin waist.

Ignoring the fact that her white nightgown was being soaked by his tears, Nicky continued to run her long, soft but calloused fingers through his hair.

By early morning they were ready to set off and all that was left was to say their goodbyes to the rest of Nicky's family.

"Be sure to visit us often, and take care of yourselves," said Lady Campbell doing her best not to cry.

Sad to see her mother sad, Nicky took her hands into hers and smiled. "We will, thank you for everything."

Lady Campbell shook her head. "It was my pleasure."

Pulling on her dress, Charlotte got Nicky's attention. "Sister, come back soon, okay?" she pleaded.

"Okay," she agreed crouching down to her level. "be good to Philp, mother and father, alright? You can come to visit me one day too."

Charlotte nodded enthusiastically getting a head pat from Nicky before she looked up at Philip who was just standing stoically at Charlotte's side.

Nicky stood straight again. "Don't look so unhappy, we will see each often," she reassured.

"Mn," he hummed looking at William. "take care of my sister or you'll answer to me." he threaten.

Not exactly threatened, William nodded seriously anyway, and they set off.

As they reached the Neutral Kingdom, many people were on the streets celebrating the return of their King and seeing this, Nicky couldn't help but be secretly proud of him.

During her time here, she didn't involve herself with the matters of the state, but now she was ready to stand at his side and she was reassured to know that despite the dark past that brought her here in the first place, these people who had to rebuild themselves a home had a good King they held to.

Reaching the capital, William exited the carriage and then turned to help her out under the eyes of all his following.

"Welcome home your Majesties, we hope your trip was well." they all greeted following the lead of his secretary.