Don't Leave Us Hanging

Carol was excited about going on Black Essence TV until she got to the next practice session at the church the next night. She was dreading coming face to face with the group so much that she drug in a little late.

When she walked into the church vestibule she heard the group already singing. Mary was singing Living in God's Plan as the group harmonized with her.

She opened the door into the sanctuary and saw the whole gang there. Tommy was at the piano, Lester, Linda, and Ricky were at microphones singing. 

Carol looked out at the group listening as if she were a fan. She believed that what she was seeing was to be the Living Praise of the future. In her mind she had rehearsed the discussion with Mary. And it always ended hurting.

As the song began to close Carol rushed up to the front to take her place in the group.

"So nice of you to join us." Mary joked in the middle of her song before going back to finishing the end of the song.

The group sang with an intensity that was not normal for a rehearsal. It reminded Carol of when they were practicing for the Gospel Quest competition. 

The song ended and Tommy immediately began playing the introductory notes for I Don't Want to Go.

"OK guys, this is the new song, sing it Carol." Tommy said.

This was not how Carol wanted it to go. Carol had practiced walking in and telling everybody, she can't go on tour and that she is leaving Living Praise, but the time wasn't right.

The song began and Carol came in perfectly. Carol really did love the song. In addition, the lyrics were almost too appropriate. She didn't want to go. And as she sang the song the spirit to move in that practice session. 

Mary started shouting as she often does when she really feels it. The group was really motoring as Tommy took over and eased into the old Gospel song, I Surrender All.  

While Carol definitely could hear the deterioration in Tommy's voice she also could hear the sincerity and power that was heard even though the brokenness.

"I...I surrender...All." Tommy sang as he ended the song.

"Yes Lord." Ricky yelled.

"Praise Him, Praise Him, Praise Him." Mary said as she began a holy hum.

"Tommy, you are gonna have to do that in the concert." Lester said.

"Yes, Tommy sing it like that. We are going to sing it exactly like that." Mary said. "And Carol, when we are on this tour, I want you to sing it exactly like that."

Carol couldn't think of a better time and thought that she should just let everybody know her plans right now.

"I don't think I can do that."

Mary was still smiling but asked, "Whys that?"

"Because I don't think I can go."

"Hold up, you can't go?" Mary said while putting her hands on her hips, "And why can't you go?"

"Well a really big opportunity has come, Dexter Thomas..."

"Dexter Thomas? You are going to let your side business affect your main business?" Mary said.

"Now hold on Mary, let the woman talk." Tommy said.

"Dexter has asked me to appear on a Black Essence show he has. This is a big opportunity." Carol said.

"Black Essence, wow." Ricky said.

"You are going to have to choose, you can't have both." Mary said.

"Now hold on Mary, that don't make a lot of sense to me." Tommy said.

"If we start making exceptions then some nights Living Praise will be Lester and I singing a duet." Mary said to Tommy. 

Lester laughed. He said, "I would normally agree with you, but a national television opportunity doesn't happen every day."

"How many shows will you miss? One or two, I can handle your parts until then." Linda said.

"Good idea, so its settled, Carol will go sing with Dexter and join with us when she can." Tommy said.

All of this was happening before Carol could tell them that she was actually planning to leave Living Praise.

"So you got it all planned huh?" Mary said to Tommy.

Tommy laughed, "I'm glad you came over to my way of thinking. Now since Carol is in rare form today..." Tommy started playing That Holy One. And led the group to sing.

Carol was happy that she was going to be able to sing, but she wondered what would happen once Dexter found out that she was not through with Living Praise.

The rest of the rehearsal went very well, but Carol still had that nagging feeling. After the rehearsal Tommy called over to Carol. And said, "Hey Carol, do you have five minutes, I want to see if we can work on a little part of Power to Live."

In a few minutes the sanctuary was empty except Tommy and Carol although they heard a lot of loud talking outside the building.

Tommy began to play the piano, "So this opportunity wasn't just a one time thing huh?"

"What? No all I have to miss is two maybe three concerts."

"OK." Tommy said unconvincingly. "I know Dexter, he is planning a big splash, and he ain't gonna do all this for a one time thing."

"I'm not leaving, if that is what you are asking. I am just going to do this one appearance and then..." Carol said not believing the the words were coming out of her mouth.

Tommy continued playing slowly going into Power to Live. Tommy said, "I know you are leaving, and I can't blame you. I hope it works out for you. I ain't condemning you. All I'm gonna say is make sure that you are doing the right thing. Also don't leave us hanging."

Carol shuffled nervously.

"I don't want you to go, but I also don't want you to miss out on what God has for you."

Carol still looked at him without saying a word. She wasn't sure what to say and she wasn't ready to confirm the reality that she was leaving Living Praise.

Tommy continued to play and said, "I just want you to know that I'm with you whatever you want to do, and remember you can't leave the family. Cause we all are gonna love you and there ain't nothing you can do about that."

Tears started flooding Carol's eyes.

"Now let me get out of here before Linda start getting suspicious." Tommy joked.

Carols chuckled. "Thanks Tommy." Carol said.

He stopped playing and said, "I think that's enough practice for today."

Carol began to walk towards the door, and Tommy said, "Just remember, don't leave us hanging."

"I won't" Carol said as she walked out the door.