Carol Talks To Tina

Tina Cage, former member of Living Praise and current member of David Small's Gospel Warriors, laughed as Carol replayed the conversation to her. The two had a weekly dinner together where they caught up with what each other is doing. Carol really got close to Tina during her recovery phase from the auto accident and they found that they had a lot in common.

"Then Lester said, "why do all of yall want to leave?" Carol said in her lowest voice attempting to lovingly mock Lester's bass voice.

Tina laughed and responded, "Why does Tommy want to take a break?"

"Well, it turns out he has a lot of preaching requests. They really picked up when he came back from the funk he was in."

"I'm happy for Tommy. He really needs to be thinking about what he is going to do after singing. His voice is really starting to go south." Tina said.

"He is dealing with it. Why is everybody talking about his voice?" Carol asked.

"Girl, don't play with me. I've seen the videos on-line. I know you hear his voice deteriorating." 

"Well, He also has a church that wants him to be their pastor." Carol said ignoring Tina.

"Tommy? A pastor? Wow." Tina responded.

"He didn't say, but I think he and Linda are getting close to jumping that broom. They probably want to go start a family." Carol said as she took a bite of her salad.

"Yeah, it ain't like them two are spring chickens, they better hurry up." Tina joked. 

"So you say you love him, but you said his voice is gone and he is shooting blanks?" Carol said with a devious grin.

"Come on girl, we just talking, and you know I gotta keep it real."

"So you want to keep it real? Don't make me have to say something about your group member. I mean David sure got a lot of mess to talk about. Ain't that brother always in the news?" Carol continued.

Tina laughed, "OK, let's get this conversation back to the point. I don't understand. Why do you want to slow down? Do you have a man in the background you ain't been telling me about?"

"Well." Carol started. She then took a breath and then took another bite of her salad. "Just between me and you. You know I've been working with Dexter Thomas?" 

"Dexter Thomas?" Tina almost jumped out of her seat and sat up. She put down her fork and continued. "You talking about the I Love You Forever Dexter Thomas?" Tina continued while singing a popular lyric from a Dexter Thomas song of few years before.

"Yes, that Dexter Thomas." Carol answered with a smile.

"What? Girl you been holding out, you know you ain't said nothing bout no Dexter Thomas. But you fixin to tell me right now though." Tina said.

"Well, we ran into each other at a Gospel concert and he asked me to come sing a few parts in his studio. He is working on a comeback album."

"Huh? So is he gonna give up acting? I loved him in that cop show."

"Well, they are going to kill off his character or cancel the show or something like that. He told me that he realized he needed to get back into singing."

"I loved that show, why are our shows always getting canceled?" Tina said.

"I never watched it."

"You never watched it? I bet you are the only black woman in America who hasn't seen that show." Tina said.

"Girl, are you gonna let me finish the story or not?" Carol said. "So then, when I got in the studio, it was like magic working with him. We even wrote some songs together. Before we knew it, we had five songs written and..."

Tina smiled, "Magic huh."

"I know what you're thinking."

"What am I thinking?"

"You are thinking this is more than business." Carol answered.

"No, I'm just thinking about your word choice." Tina laughed and took and placed a fork full of fish in her mouth.

"Well, I mean he is fine, but right now we are putting together great music." Carol said.

"Let's turn the page here, I know you ain't got a question in your mind do you? You need to leave Living Praise." Tina said.

"I don't know, the group has been so good to me." Carol responded.

Tina took a bite of food as if she was attempting to compose her words. She said, "Leaving Living Praise was hard for me, but it was the best thing I ever did." 

Carol's eyes widened, "Now why would you say that?"

"Don't get me wrong, I love all of them, especially Mary, but Mary wants your all or nothing at all." Tina continued.

"So what does your boy David want? I know for a fact he ain't the easiest person to work with." Carol interrupted.

Carol and Tina laughed.

"You ain't' never lied." Tina said as the two continued to laugh.

After a moment, Tina said, "No, you are right, David can be a mess, but one thing David does do is encourage us to explore other options. The Gospel Warriors could be a lot bigger than they are now. But David gives us other opportunities."

"Opportunities?" Carol asked.

"I have done voice over for commercials and sang with different folks. I even have a small part in a movie. David is going to turn the Gospel Warriors into a supergroup where each of the members have had successful solo success." Tina said.

"Maybe I should have joined up with you guys when yall left." Carol said.

"Of course David is David, but he believes in the careers of all his people."

"Well, I wouldn't say that Mary doesn't care, she just cares more about Living Praise. The group is more important than the individuals."

"See that there is the difference. David sees The Gospel Warriors as a vehicle to get him to where he wants to go. He doesn't see it as the destination of where he wants to go." Tina said.

"And where does he want to go?"

"To the stars." Tina said. She then stopped for a moment and took another bite. 

Carol took a bite as she looked intently at Tina as she spoke.

Tina continued, "Carol, you gotta shoot for the stars if you think you are gonna hit the treetop." 

"You've given me a lot to think about." Carol said.

"Ain't no thinking, if you want I can talk to David, I know he would support you if you..."

"No, no, I still ain't decided what I am gonna do. The last think I need is David in this."

Carol wondered if she had already said too much. She was fearful of losing her position with Living Praise and possibly jeopardizing her singing with Dexter Thomas, she teetered back and forth. She did know, however, that she didn't want to work with David.

"Don't take forever girl, opportunities have a way to leaving if you don't seize them." Tina said. "I gotta go, but it's been real."

Carol reached for the check and then threw it over to Tina and said, "You the one with the awards, the least you could do is take the check."

Tina laughed and put two 20s on the table and said, "I'll take it this time, next time you get Dexter Thomas to pay for it."

They laughed as they walked out of the restaurant to their cars.