2: The City of the Lost

CHAPTER 2 – The City of the Lost

═══════════════

Like a hoard of mindless undead creatures, Spencer, along with the other citizens, entered Macedonia City. Their feet and their breaths synced as if they had fallen into the grasp of the master of puppets. Niko and I followed them, angst and fear slowly occupied my mind… but we cannot leave Spencer alone in this state— no, we cannot leave these people like this.

Niko and I hid behind an abandoned car, and from there, we watched them like a hawk, waiting for something, anything, to happen. A loud, annoying scream destroyed the silent night, making Niko curse under his breath.

You’ve got to be kidding me!

“Oh… it’s your fucking best friend.” Niko glared at me as if I was the one who screamed. So, kasalanan ko na ngayon?

I looked at him with disbelief. Parang tanga si gago. Madalas, nalilimutan ko talagang mas bata sa ‘kin ang isang ‘to. “Si Sierra ang sumigaw, hindi ako!”

“Ah… I thought it was you. Kamukha mo kasi.”

“Do you want to die right now?”

“As if you could—”

Mabilis kong tinakpan ang bibig ni Niko nang marinig namin ang isang malakas na pagpadyak ng mga paa, kasabay nito ang sabay-sabay na pagpihit ng mga katawan nila sa direksyon namin.

Tangina mo, Sierra! Maiiyak na ako rito!

We unconsciously held our breath. This is a fucking frightening situation! This is Sierra’s fault! That stupid barbie cheerleader!

Inis na inalis ni Niko ang kamay ko na nakatakip sa bibig niya’t mas lalo akong sinimangutan. “This is your fault, Ate Amira. It was you who opened the goddamn door!”

“Malay ko bang ganito ang mangyayari?!” Inis kong bulong. “And why on earth is that stupid bitch doing in here?”

“Tayong dalawa ang magkasama, mukha bang alam ko rin kung bakit?”

ASDFGHJKL! Gusto kong magsabi ng masasamang words tsaka sakalin siya nang sobrang higpit. Ikalma mo lang, Amira, kadugo mo ‘yan. Marahan kaming sumilip sa direksyon nina Spencer, nang muling tumahimik ang paligid, sabay-sabay silang nagmulat ng kanilang mga mata.

Oh, fuck.

“Niko… uwi na tayo. Malaki na naman si Spencer,” pabirong bulong ko. Kabadong ngumiti si Niko habang nakatingin kay Spencer.

Their dull, bloodshot eyes stared enticingly at one of the well-known infrastructures of Macedonia City—the Bridge of Magdalene. It is the Philippines’ longest highway bridge ever built after attaining wealth as it connects Macedonia to Zerehiah, easing the shipments and trading in favor of Macedonia. Before the apocalypse, before the people named Macedonia the City of the Lost, it was first known as the City of Commerce.

Alpheus may be acknowledged as the capital, the wealthiest city, but it is only in terms of paper and legality. But Macedonia is different; this place is the den of the wolves acting like sheep. The buildings, infrastructures, and houses were typically built with no luxurious or exquisite displays of buildings as if it was a strategy for them to be unnoticeable. After all, real diamonds are mined deep within the ground—in layman’s terms, the real Macedonia City was hidden under our feet.