You think for a while, before bending down to reach her height, "Then how about you become my spy for a while?" You whisper, watching as she perks up at the suggestion.

"You don't have to do anything dangerous. Just watch every movement in the palace and report everything to me."

She nods without hesitation, "I will do my best."

You hum, "Good, stay alert so no one catches you. Send me reports through Marquis Farang, he's a man you and I can trust."

Your close friend was fond of birds, so it only made sense if he trained them to send letters once in a while.

You could ask Heinley for one of his many men who were a part of the bird tribe, but this was your own matter.

"I'm quite surprised you managed to avoid my sight successfully

"I'm quite surprised you managed to avoid my sight successfully." Ergy's smooth voice finds it's way to your ear drums.

You turn, looking at him, this time not so angrily as you had done in the past. You were in a good mood, maybe because it was the champagne but that didn't matter.

"Were you looking for me, Duke?" You hum out.

Although you weren't mad at him this time around, you had to hurry and end this conversation. You still had to talk to Farang regarding the situation.

In addition to that, you were exhausted.

"I was." He slides his way closer to you, smelling the champagne radiating from your figure. "I was hoping for a dance?" He grins, taking your hand in his.

You raise an eyebrow.

There was no music, no one watching, nor were you both in the ballroom but instead in the back, where the cold wind blew.

"What for?"

"Just because."

His face tells you he wouldn't leave until you agreed to dance with him, "Fine." You sigh, taking his hand in yours, feeling his unoccupied hand sliding towards your waist.

Pulling you closer to him, he hums as substitute for the music, not saying another word as you simply follow his lead.

You will indulge him for now. Not like you'd see him again anytime sooner anyway.

"You look rather ravishing tonight, my lady." He suddenly says, sensing the growing boredom in yours eyes.

"And you look very dashing, Duke Ergy. I hope you aren't leading on any woman with that handsome look on your face." You snicker, referring to him manipulating Rashta.

He sweats, unable to retort.

"Well, I suppose my reputation does not precede me." He hums, twirling you around without a warning.

You yelp, about to trip, but he catches you before you could reach the ground with harsh impact, "You're falling for me." He cheekily grins, helping you stand and compose yourself.

Just when you're about to leave, he places a hand on your lower back, leading you further away from the entrance and deeper into the dark garden, none of the light illuminated.

He shushes your protests, only telling you to follow him because he had something important to tell you.

Once you stop, you're at the furthest corner, the area completely shadowed.

"Rashta is becoming bolder now that she's the Empress. It may become dangerous for the people around her." His playful tone drops as he looks around, making sure there was no one to listen.

"What?" You raise an eyebrow, craning you neck to meet eyes with him

"She's a woman who's desperate to keep her seat as the Empress. With her power now, she won't hesitate to execute a servant who finds out about her schemes."

You cross your arms, "I live in the Western Kingdom now Duke. I'm afraid I no longer care about the affairs here."

He sighs, putting on a pleasing face, "Although I am a heartless villain who wants to lead Rashta to her miserable doom, I don't want anyone to lose their life on the path I'm carving."

This would only increase your burdens, but whenever you thought of the maids who you've spent time with growing up, you can't help but feel bad if news of their deaths every reached you.

They were still people, so you can't bring yourself to abandon them.

"I'll find a way to make sure no one loses their life to Rashta." You finally say, unafraid of the chance that he might just be roping you into one of his schemes.

You knew of his situation with his family, especially with his mother, and he knows you know.

"Thank you, Lady ( y/n )."

══════⊹⊱❖⊰⊹══════

not proofread