Sneak Peek: One Choice

As many of you know, a sequel for Noel and Kinsley's story is in the works. Here is a sneak peek of the first chapter. I am hoping to start posting this story in the fall (between October and November of this year!).

Noel

"I'm going to propose to Kinsley. Tomorrow night."

Cole almost chokes on his beer. Silas claps him on the back several times as he coughs and sputters. He sets his beer down and grabs his water, taking a long swig. By the time he's curbed the choking, his face is a light shade of red. His green eyes are huge as he gapes at me.

"What? When? How?"

There isn't disbelief in his voice. He's excited. I can practically see the gears churning in his brain. With a wedding already behind him, Cole knows the ins and outs. He knows I want him to be the best man. There's no need to ask him.

Smiling, I pick at the label of my beer. My decision to marry Kinsley was set in stone after this past Christmas. It was the first Christmas where we were able to feel more joy than bittersweet emotions. We've healed a lot since we met, and I think we're ready to open another chapter in our lives.

From my pocket, I remove the ring and set it on the table, next to the half-eaten plate of nachos. Cole raises his eyebrows and loosens a low whistle as he picks up the ring, inspecting it.

A smile breaks free. He hands the ring back. "So, when do I get to start planning?"

"Wait a second," I frown. "What makes you think I want you to be my best man?"

Cole's face falters. He clears his throat. "I just assumed... Shit, really, Noel? Is it your manager? 'Cause I will pummel that bloody bastard to a pulp."

"Hey," Silas frowns. "That's not very nice."

Cole fixes him with a dirty glare. "Don't be such a wanker. I suggest you step down. Otherwise, I'll follow through with my threat."

Silas rolls his eyes, directing his gaze at me. There's a sardonic gri o his face, and we exchange an amused chuckle. Cole wouldn't harm anyone. He's always been a gentle soul, always resorting to logic as opposed to violence or impulsive actions. When he makes threats, they're hollow.

I look at Cole, grinning. "Come on, man. Did you really think I'd do that to you? Who else would I have as my best man?"

Cole's face stays stony. He crosses his arms and tips his chin up. "You only want me because Daisy will be the Maid of Honour. Mate, you're offering me this position so you can pick my brain. How convenient that we've been married recently." Cole holds up his left hand, flashing his ring. It's rose-gold, and it glimmers in the smoky lighting. "Perhaps I should say no."

My smirk broadens, and I take a sip of water, surveying the space. We're in a pub in Downtown Calgary. The door to the patio is open, allowing wisps of cigarette smoke to filter in and combine with the smell of frying oil and stale liquor. While I tend to avoid alcohol, I do enjoy the setting of pubs. They're similar to a recreation centre in the sense that you can play games, such as billards, and socialize while enjoying food and drinks.

Across the room, the bar is grandiose and adjacent to the three billard tables. There is an impressive collection of liquor behind the rustic counter. Glass bottles ranging from black to crystal clear line the wall. The wall itself is made of weathered brick that's been painted white, and the shelves are a whisky-coloured oak that matches the flooring.

I toss back the rest of my mocktail and push the glass aside, resting my chin on my fist. Fighting off the smirk is impossible, despite my efforts. When Cole frowns for too long, his left eyebrow will twitch. It subtracts from his attempt at appearing frustrated with me. And Cole knows this, which is why several seconds later, he dips his head down and shakes it. There's a smile on his lips. "Fuck, mate. Of course I'll be your best man." He looks at me, and my chest constricts. There's so much pride and happiness in his eyes.

Feeling sheepish, I play with the rim of my empty glass. Although I'm comfortable with discussing the past, I still have issues with self-acknowledgement. I don't give myself enough credit. Cole says I'm too humble. I think it's because I can't give all the credit to myself. Without the help of Dr. Munson, the nurses, Kinsley, Cole, and Gramps, I wouldn't be here. My footsteps quite probably would've been similar to my father's. Had I continued the way I was going, I would've resorted to toxic coping mechanisms. With the help of professionals, my friends, and my family, I'm on the right track again. Sure, my willingness to change played a large role, but I didn't teach myself the proper tools to deal with trauma. Other people did. Which I why I will never take full credit for turning my life around.

"Thanks," I say. I'm incapable of displaying my gratitude with justice. When I turn to Silas, he has one eyebrow cocked, as if he's expecting an offer. I do my best to appear indifferent. "You're not invited."

Silas laughs, running a hand through his reddish-blond hair. "Both of you are shit at teasing." He pauses, pointing at me. "I'd quit. You do realize that, right?"

My crooked smile broadens. "I'm teasing. Of course you're welcome to be a groomsman."

When I moved to Nashville after completing the program with Dr. Munson, I met Silas at a country music expo. We were two men looking for an opportunity to expand our careers. We hit it off immediately, over pub food and non-alcoholic drinks. Since the, Silas has been my go-to man. As my artist manager, he's helped build my career and get my music in the hands of producers and label executives. He also negotiates contracts and sets up tours.

Without each other, our careers would be nothing.

Grinning, Silas lifts his glass. "No shit."He takes a sip of his drink, and then sets down the glass. "I'm happy for you, Noel. You deserve this. I can't wait for the wedding."

My grin is sheepish, but I can't argue with him. Kinsley and I deserve to be happy after all the shit we've been through. We weathered a storm we never asked for, won the battle, and now we're ready to settle down. With Kinsley having her own vet clinic and me making good money through music, we're carving out our own nook in life. A nook just for us that's not created by the decisions of other people.

"I know," I say. From my pocket, I remove the ring. It's not in a fancy box or anything. When I set it on the table, Cole is the first one to snatch it.

The ring is simple: gold with a heart-shaped diamond in the centre with two smaller diamonds on either side.

I run a hand through my hair. "Do you think she'll like it?"

Cole passes the ring to Silas, smiling at me. "She'll love it."