Chapter 28 - And escape again

Start from the beginning

Crawling deeper and deeper into the cave through various often very low passages, we eventually arrived in another large cave room and finally outside. We were really exhausted. The cold air did us good at first, after we had been sweating during our escape through the cave passages. But quite quickly the cold became very uncomfortable.

The Amore, however, did not give us time for a break, but pushed us further into the forest, around to the right, straight ahead, then left and crisscross, until we suddenly arrived at the car I had parked. "Drive, drive!" Said the Amore and yanked open the passenger door. He almost pushed me onto the seat before looking sternly at Yibo and Yibo took a seat in the driver's seat.

"What about our friend He Peng?" I asked, still breathing heavily.

"Gone." Said the Amore and slammed the passenger door.

"We can't leave without He Peng, can we?" I said to Yibo, who had already started the engine.

"Yes, we can and we have to. I'm not going to risk our lives by waiting." Yibo replied shaking his head and started the car. Because the car was an all-terrain vehicle, he made good time through the snow with it. And it didn't take long to reach the road, even if it was buried under a blanket of snow like everything else. But because of the tracks our attackers had left in the snow, the road was still easy to see.

Yibo drove in the opposite direction of the tracks and again and again he went off the road, which was not visible because of the snow and the missing tracks. In the end, I don't even know how long we drove around in this way before we saw an abandoned building at dawn that was somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

There was nothing we could do about our own tracks at that moment. We simply had no choice but to drive to that building, because we needed to rest and reorganize urgently. Yibo parked the car so that we could escape with it again at any time. We armed ourselves and entered the house after Yibo broke the lock of the front door. And the first thing we noticed was that it was even colder inside than outside. And that even though the front door was locked and there were window panes.

After a short tour through the house, we noticed that obviously nobody had lived there before the apocalypse. The house was largely empty. Only a few old chairs that had been left behind were still there in the former living room. We used these chairs as firewood for the old fireplace that was there. Yibo had only had to check the shaft before. But except for some snow, it was otherwise clear.

After we had closed all the doors around us and covered the windows with a few blankets we had in the car, it quickly got warmer in the living room. Nevertheless, we were shivering all over, but this was probably more because of the excitement and shock we were feeling about the attack and our inability to help. For we could have fought against the gray hairless creatures. But we would not have stood a chance against the Demoids. After all, they are just like the Amores, big and very strong.

Only after an hour did we dare to wonder about the whereabouts of He Peng and how King Bac and his men were doing. Were they alive at all? The answer was yes. For we could still sense them. A side effect of the connection we made with King Bac when we drank of his blood.

Lately, He Peng had been retreating frequently. Before the women and children had been returned to their kingdom, he had spent a lot of time with the children. He played with them, taught them our language, and had their language taught to him. Then, of course, when the children were gone, he missed them. He even wanted to go where the children were.

However, King Bac was against taking us to his kingdom or having us brought there, because it was too dangerous for us there. Because there are, as he told us, many other dangerous creatures and we would be there in greater danger than here. Since he has no reason to lie to us, we believed him and therefore voluntarily refrained from taking a look at his kingdom,