Chapter 5

"You said he was dead," Loki says, his voice barely a whisper.

"He was," Tony says. "Thor killed him. I saw Thor kill him."

"He looks very much alive to me," Loki hisses.

They both look over the landing at the fight playing out before then. Steve jumps up, his shield held out in front of him. Thanos holds the Infinity Blade, ready to pierce through his chest, but as soon as it makes contact, Steve vanishes into a flash of light. From behind him, the real Steve appears, jabbing his shield into Thanos's back. As the Titan turns around, Thor shoots a blast of lightning at him, which Thanos deflects with his blade.

"Look, I don't know what's going on," Tony says, "but if we didn't get him last time, we're gonna make damn sure we do this time."

"No."

Tony scoffs. "'No?'"

"I wish you the best of luck," Loki says, "but this is not my fight anymore, and I am not joining it."

Tony gapes at him. "Not your fight?" he says incredulously. "Loki, he killed you!"

"He did much worse than that," Loki says. "You cannot begin to fathom what he put me through, the constant pain I've endured for so long that I've nearly forgotten what peace feels like. I cannot do this again. So I wish you the best of luck, but I am staying out of it."

Tony scowls. "Fine. Then any blood spilled is on your hands."

"My hands are dripping in blood," Loki says. "What's another few lives added on?"

Tony shakes his head to himself. He draws his mask over his face, and then he's off, not another glance spared in Loki's direction. He shoots off a blast of energy, and Thanos blocks it with his Infinity Blade. Steve glances up at him flying overhead and gives him a brief wave, to which Tony nods in response.

"You're really not going to help them?" Scott asks.

"I do not see you helping them," Loki remarks.

"I can't; my suit's broken," Scott tells him. "I'd just get in the way. But you – you've got superpowers. You could stand a chance–"

"If Thanos is here, none of us stand a chance," Loki says darkly.

"Well, worst-case scenario, he's gonna kill you," Scott says. "Guess what? He's probably gonna do that anyway. Might as well die a hero, right?"

"There are worse things than death, Ant."

"Like watching some genocidal maniac murder your family?" Scott asks.

Loki hesitates, looking out at the fight below. Thor jumps up, Stormbreaker at the ready, preparing to swing it down upon the Titan. Thanos jabs the Infinity Blade towards him, and he vanishes, a product of Frigga's illusions. The real Thor takes that distraction in stride, and he shoots a blast of lightning at Tony. His suit channels the energy, directing it at Thanos. Thanos deflects it with the Infinity Blade, shooting it towards Frigga. Steve jumps in front of her, shield held in front of them to block the blast, but if he hadn't been there...

"You gotta help them," Scott says.

Loki shakes his head. "I told you. I am not a martyr."

"Well, something tells me you're gonna be pretty damn miserable if you live and they don't," Scott says.

"None of us will live," Loki says. "What is it to me how they die?"

Scott stares at him incredulously. "You're serious."