"What?" 

Jasper rolled his eyes, but she could tell he wasn't really mad. His hand reached across and tightened the lace on her skate, like she was a kid going to her first competition. 

"Thanks," she said sheepishly, checking her skate guards were secure just in case. She didn't need him doing that as well. 

"Sure. Where's your head at right now? Because it's definitely not here."

"Just nervous."

"Oh, come on," Jasper scoffed. "Tell me what's really going on."

"I, uh...I've got no one in the crowd today. My abuela is at my Kevin's with the kids and my brothers are away. It's just not the same. It's stupid, I know."

Jasper nudged her with his elbow, and when she met his eyes there was an understanding behind them, like he knew just what she was feeling. "It's not stupid. It's hard, not having people in your corner."

She nodded, trying to fight the urge to cry. Jasper put his arm round her and she leant her head against his shoulder. "Thanks, Jas."

"Always. But hey, I thought you and the driver boy were pretty serious, right? How come he's not here."

Penelope stared down at her skates. "It's race week, so he is all the way across the other side of the world. He left yesterday."

"Well," Jasper announced, giving her a reassuring smile. "Who cares. I'll be up there with you for duet, and I'll be cheering the place down for your solo. We've got this."

Penelope said a silent thank you to whichever god had sent Jasper into her life. Sure, they fought all the time and he annoyed the living daylights out of her, but at the centre of it all, they really were best friends. She couldn't ask for a better partner. She wrapped her arms around him as he groaned, but he wasted no time in hugging her back. 

"We've got this," she repeated. 

"Exactly," he said, though something behind her in the crowd seemed to catch his eye as he spoke. His expression dropped like he'd seen a ghost. "Don't look now, but our lovely coach Carlisle is currently marching his way towards us like his ass is on fire."

"Penelope!" Carlisle bellowed on his approach. "Jasper! Showcase begins in 10 minutes and you've yet to take your seats."

Looking around, Penelope could see that he was right. The crowd they were standing in was starting to thin, long lines of people trailing towards the stands that housed the rink. Penelope shouldered her bag, ready to go.

"Hi Carlisle," Penelope said half-heartedly. "Lost track of time, I'm sorry."

"Hm. Come on then, you two. I trust you're feeling prepared?"

"Sure," Jasper lied. "Feeling great. Did you check the line up?"

Carlisle nodded, opening his folder and handing each of them a sheet of paper. "Jasper, you're up first. Middle of the pack, right where you want to be. Penelope, your solo is twenty minutes later, again you're in the centre of the line up, so no adjusting is needed. Your duo however, is scheduled for the end of the session. Remember, adjust for ice usage on that one, please. Any last minute questions?"

Both Penelope and Jasper shook their heads. They were as ready as they were ever going to be. All they could do now is take their seats and wait. 

"Good," Carlisle exhaled. He reached out and patted both of them on the shoulders, his cold exterior seeming to thaw for a moment. "Listen, kids...no matter what happens, I'll be proud of you. You've worked hard this past year, so go out there, give it your best shot and lets show them what we've got."

***************

As Penelope took her seat, she could feel a thousand sets of eyes staring at her from across the rink. A steady buzz of chatter echoed throughout, and she could see various dancers pointing at her or taking photos. 

She tugged on Jasper's sleeve. "They're staring at me."

Jasper smirked. "Yeah well, you're the most famous person in this place. They're probably fans."

As if the universe were listening, a gaggle of girls in the spectator section began to cheer, holding up a sign that read 'WE LOVE YOU PENELOPE!' When she waved in their direction, they began to squeal with joy, jumping up and down as though they'd won the lottery. 

"Look at that," Jasper mused, "you do have people in your corner after all."

Penelope smiled, blowing them a kiss. Despite all the negative aspects that fame sometimes plagued her with, above everything she really did love her fans. "Yeah. I guess I do."

With Jasper by her side, Penelope sat back and watched her colleagues as they began to take the stage. The routines were either complex and mediocre or simple and excellent, but either way it was hard not to feel intimidated. The best of the bunch would be her competition at Nationals, and it was hard not to question whether she was good enough to stand out amongst them. 

Soon, it was time for Jasper to take the ice. She gripped his hand before he went, sending him one last message of good luck before he descended the steps and took his position. As the music began, she tracked his movements like a hawk, checking for errors or simple mistakes. She'd watched his routine enough times that she could perform it herself with her eyes closed, but his skill still impressed her. There was something so magical about watching him dance, and as it drew to a close, the stadium erupted into applause. Penelope got to her feet, cheering as loudly as she could as Jasper took an exit bow. 

"You were amazing!" she called to him as he walked back towards her, blushing like a school kid. 

"Made a mistake on the sit spin," he grumbled, but she could tell he was just being modest. Unfortunately, there was no time for her to discuss it further. Her name was flashing in lights on the display board, beckoning her to the stage. 

It was time. 

Okay, she thought to herself, hugging Jasper before hurrying down the steps towards the ice. The closer she got, the colder she felt, but she didn't mind the feeling. You can do this. You've done this a thousand times. This is nothing.

Her fingers trembled as she removed the guards from her skates, double checking her laces were tied and her dress was smooth. The judge panel were watching her carefully as she stepped onto the ice, taking her lap before holding her pose in the centre of the rink. One of those panel members held her future in their hands. She couldn't mess this up. 

Around her, the lights began to dim. The music track began, and her feet began to move almost of their own control. She circled through the steps, her body becoming weightless as she twisted and leapt across the ice, soaring through the air in jump after jump, her mind so focused that everything around her seemed to sink into nothingness. 

The two minutes and twenty seconds was over before she knew it. Suddenly, she was holding her end pose, the crowd clapping and cheering with such volume that the ice shook beneath her feet. Penelope let her body relax, taking big gulping breaths as she smiled up at them, waving as the spectators called her name. 

Breathless but feeling on top of the world, she glided to the edge of the rink, making it onto solid ground and recapping her skates. Suddenly, Jasper was at her side, his smile so wide that he looked like he might combust. 

"Smashed it!" he cried, shaking her shoulders with glee. "You're a fucking superstar." 

"It was good?" she asked hopefully, taking his hands. 

"Good? You were fucking brilliant."

Penelope jumped on the spot, laughing as Jasper dragged her back towards the stands. Their solo routines were complete, and they were more than a solid effort. All they had to do now was replicate that in their pair performance, and they were surely a shoe in to getting that golden ticket to the Olympic squad. 

How hard could it be? 

********************