Chapter 60: Calm and Quiet Night

Börja om från början

Luke: Do I?

Bonnie: Are you kiddin' me? Yes.

Luke: I guess I should work on that.

Me: They're just scared... that's when it happens... when they don't know what to do.

Bonnie: Yeah. That makes sense to me.

Luke: *looks at the group* Guess it took a woman to talk some sense into 'em. Looks like Jane broke it up.

Bonnie: Keep pressure on it, okay? I'm gonna go fetch some bandages.

She starts walking towards the group but Luke stops her.

Luke: Hey Bonnie...

Bonnie: *turns around* Yeah?

Luke: I'm sorry.

Bonnie: For what?

Luke looks down to the snow.

Bonnie: I'll be right back.

She continues walking to the group. All of a sudden Luke groans in pain.

Me: How are you feeling?

Luke: If I'm bein' honest... I've been better.

There is awkward silence for a few seconds.

Luke: How did we get here?

Me: We walked... at least most of us did. You basically had to be carried.

Luke: Sittin' in the snow... leaned up against a tree... bullet in my leg... but alive. When so many of my friends are dead... for no good reason... and I couldn't do anything to stop it. Everyone apart from me and Sarah we set out with, just... gone... Nick, Pete... Alvin and Becca... Carlos... and for what? It don't make any sense.

Me: You can't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault.

Luke: No... not completely. I could've done more. And that ain't up for debate. I know it in my bones... and I've gotta live with it.

Bonnie: All right. This should work.

We look over and see Bonnie walk up to us with a blue rag in hand.

Luke: That's perfect.

Me and Luke exchange glances as Bonnie kneels down to patch the wound.

Bonnie: What'd I miss?

Luke: Hmm? Oh, nothin' much. You know... complainin' mostly. Tryin' to guess how far this place is. I'd like to get off this leg sooner than later.

Me: I was just mentioning how cold it is lately.

Bonnie: Yeah. Good thing you got that cool jacket, huh? I'm sure most of that'll come out with a little soap and water.

Luke: *looks at me* I'm fine.

Bonnie: Hey, Clem... go over and see if you can change the bandages on (Y/N)'s wound. I feel like out of everyone we would prefer either you or Kenny to do it.

Me: *sighs* Okay.

Bonnie: That a girl.

She hands me a peroxide.

Bonnie: That's gonna sting, but only for a second. It's gonna clean it.

Me: Oh, he's had it before, we both know what it does... it's gonna suck, especially in the eye socket now.

Luke: It's gotta get done.

I stand up and walk over to (Y/N) only for Kenny to walk up to me with the baby.