Chapter 24- Lily Lady

This song (Adelina, by Johnny Swim) was the very beginning of my journey with Adelina Bendithio and all of her world. It's one of my favourite songs, and I would really like it if you listened to it along with this chapter!

The Skevetic need for fanfare wears on me more every time I see it, but at least this time it's not a parade. Instead, Mirabel and Garen stand on a platform in the very center of the city courtyard outside the castle portcullis. The day is significantly brighter than yesterday, yet the overbearing grey walls of the buildings make for an oppressive setting. Ragna and her daughters tried to make it a bit more jovial by placing colorful streamers around the square, but they only serve as a pitiful juxtaposition of the barren grey stone.

Cairo and I walk the square in a methodical circle. We walk in opposite directions, crossing only in the middle. Each time we meet, we nod subtly to signal nothing out of the ordinary has been found. Emilio and Branon stand on either side of the engaged couple, while Maso stands on the roof of the tallest building, catching a birds eye view of the proceedings.

Mirabel and Garen are introduced by Monika, then Garen gives a small speech riddled with reminders of the cities past glories. Mirabel makes a short greeting after he is finished, proclaiming the virtues of the two Skevetic cities she has seen. She easily beguiles the crowd with her winning smile and flattery. When the pair steps down from the platform, the people of Miraclus are cheering loudly. I even catch some of the citizens with tears in their eyes. Their simple desire to be great again tugs at my heart strings. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in this cheerless city, especially the people who remember Miraclus when it was a thriving place full of celebration.

Mirabel and Garen slowly back off of the platform and back into the castle, Emilio and Branon covering their backs. I stay outside, keeping an eye on the citizens as they disperse. I don't expect much from them. The people of Miraclus look fine, on the surface. Most of their clothes are sturdy and well made, if rough and colorless. But I can see that their eyes are dull, their hair lackluster. Bony shoulders and knees stick through their clothes. None of the children have the round cheeks and chubby arms of youth. Clearly Ragna has been trying desperately to take care of her people, selling every spare piece of furnishing in an attempt to find the basic needs of the city.

No wonder she's ready to join a half-baked revolt.

Once the people have disappeared, Cairo and I go inside the castle to pack. We are scheduled to depart this afternoon for the next destination on the engagement tour. This journey will take us the longest, and takes us through a bog known to slow travel by weeks in the wet season, which, being winter, is now.

It's the perfect time to amass an army without anyone noticing our disappearance for over a month. It's a haphazard plan thrown together by Mirabel, Garen and Ragna while I was scouting out the city square this morning. I'm not thrilled that they made plans without me, but I am relieved to be done with this charade. It will feel good to be doing something truly productive with our time.

I return to the meeting room where we ate dinner last night. Only Fin and Alida are missing, both having left to search the countryside for the Gricadan resistance. The chairs look overly comfortable, so I decide to stand. Garen, Ragna and Branon all decide to do the same. Mirabel and Monika are sitting, but it's clear from the way Monika picks at the stitching on her sleeves and the way Mirabel chews her lip that both are high strung.

"Are we all sure we want to do this?" Garen asks quietly.

"Of course not. But we've made the best choice available to us. That's even more true since we've learned exactly what Alaric really is." Ragna answers bluntly. Non of us argue with her.