Chapter 15

An Explosion tore through the walls.

Men, Uruks and stone flew aimlessly through the air as a part of the wall was destroyed. When all that was deployed came crashing back down it was hitting soldiers and orcs alike, striking them to the ground. The stone on which y/n was standing on shook beneath her feet and she had to spread her arms out to steady herself and regain her balance. While she was able to keep her footing, the ground shaking due to explosions were not uncommon to her after all, most others standing near the hole fell to the ground, groaning in pain or rubbing their ears to shake the high pitch ringing that was emitting in their minds.

"By Joneses tentacley beard!" she muttered when she saw Uruk-Hai run through the newly created opening. And just to add salt to the wound the turtle that had been approaching the gate was now almost there. Uruks fell down the side of the bridge as something was carried to the front of the formation. It was a battering ram.

"Calypso just end it!" she cried before resuming to fight and pulling her sword again. In the distance she heard king Théoden yell.

"Brace the Gate!"

Y/n swung her blade trying to prevent more Uruks from climbing up the ladders. She had just beheaded and orc when she heard Gimli scream behind her.

"Aragorn!" she turned her head just in time to see Gimli jumping down the wall and onto the horde of oncoming Uruks to go to the Rangers aid who had been thrown down by the explosion.

For a moment she considered following him but when she heard the battle-cry of an Uruk that was charging directly at her she quickly thought of other things.

Her breath was ragged as she kept whirling around trying to fight of the orcs that were surrounding her from all sides. From atop the wall, she could see Aragorn leading the elven army outside to meet the orcs head on. She saw Legolas using a shield as a slide to get down the stairs and join his friends. Huffing she decided to come down as well. She looked around to find a quick way down that wasnt just jumping and possibly breaking her ankle or fighting her way over and down the stone stairs.

As if fate decided to, for once, be kind to her a large crossbow arrow with a rope attached to it flew past her and burrowed into the stone tower in the courtyard just about 30 feet behind her. The taut rope was suspended right next to her. She eyed it for a second and shrugged her shoulders before gripping onto it and cutting it behind her hand. The orcs that were trying to climb up the rope fell down still outside the wall.

Y/n held on tightly to the twisted twine before jumping of the wall and swinging across the battlefield like she used to swing over to another boat. As the wind tussled her hair in an all too familiar greeting and she couldnt help but smile a little. A joyous scream left her, that felt out of place in the gruesome battle. She readied her blade and swung at the orcs that swarmed around her feet, dropping like flies when she hit them with her sword. The tower on which her rope was attached to was quickly approaching she tried to ready her legs to push of the stone and then glide down the rope but an Uruk that swung at her made her turn midair. Now spinning in circles, she was not able to stop her dooming approach to the tower. The air was knocked out of her lungs when her shoulder hit the stone. Through an indescribable amount of luck though, she was left uninjured. Or in the very least, the adrenaline surging through her body prevented her from feeling any major pain.

For a second, she lost her grip on the rope and came falling to the ground but she caught it again just at the end of the twine. The rope sadly was not as long as the tower was tall so she now hung just a few feet above ground.

With arms flailing around she came to stand on solid ground once more her arms inelegantly spread out and a crooked posture. Quickly she was surrounded again and even though she was stumbling a little she kept fighting.