Chapter 6

"Good night, Meleth-nin." He said and rested his chin on her head.

The next morning, they stood in a line along a field of white flowers as the body of the fallen prince was carried to his gravesite. The mood was grim and so were the faces. Y/n avoided looking at the king as his features were twisted with grief, even when he tried to hide it. The voice of Éowyn rang over the hills as she sang the blessings for the fallen prince. Y/n kept quiet and her eyes cast on the floor. This was the first funeral she ever attended. When pirates die at sea they get a sea funeral, which most of the time means throwing them overboard. And disregarding Jack and a few other people she had been fortunate enough to never loose someone close to her. Mostly because she never became close to anyone.

After the grave was sealed, they went back inside to have lunch. It wasnt a big feast, just enough to fill your stomach. No conversation was held, all that was heard was the chewing of the people sitting at the table.

Not long after they had eaten some guards rushed in carrying two children, they were followed by king Théoden and Gandalf. They were dirty and tired and when presented with food they started to scarf it down like they hadnt eaten in weeks, which they most likely hadn't.

Lady Éowyn was at their side within a second, covering them with blankets and gently petting their backs. Y/n stood next to Legolas leaning on one of the columns that held up the roof of the throne room. Aragorn and Gimli were still sitting and eating, the pirate had finished already but still had a piece of bread in hand that she was ripping pieces of off to eat.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree." said Éowyn after speaking to the children.

A worried look came across Aragorns features and out of the corner of her eye she saw the same expression on the face of Legolas.

"Where's mama?" asked the girl, her voice was shrill and Éowyn was quickly at her side to bring comfort.

Gandalf then turned to king Théoden addressing him.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on."

The wizard leaned closer and placed a hand on the royals chair.

"Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." he further encouraged and Aragorn quickly chimed in.

"You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king."

The king got up from his chair and strode to the middle of the hall to make a stance.

"They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us."

Gandalf opened his mouth to speak but the king rose his hand and silenced him before even a word left his lips.

"I know what it is that you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

Aragorn, who had previously leaned back sucking on his pipe now removed it from his lips to lean forward.

"Open war is upon you," he warned "whether you would risk it or not."

Théoden snapped around to look at Aragorn his eyes blazing that it even sent a shiver down y/n's spine. Though it still paled in comparison to the king Thranduils icy glare. Apparently for y/n to respect royalty they had to be very threatening, ancient elves that would only meet her eyes to glare, be that because of their omnipotence or just their blazing hatred for her. While Théoden didn't seem half bad, much better than previous kings she had met anyways, he had not yet gained her respect. So far, she had only seen a king that held power but no reason for him to have that power, other than him being king.