Chapter 2

Unseen Scars

Chapter 2

At the end of the day Tyler and I became great friends.

We had so much fun the entire day.

We talked about everything, not one little piece of information was left out.

Except of course i didn't tell him my secret, but everything else about me i told him.

At lunch he had asked to walk me home after school and i said yes.

So at the moment we're just leaving the school entrance when a blue 2009 dodge ram pulls up in front of us.

I instantly recognize the truck and grab Tyler's hand out of fright.

The passenger window lowers and a familiar face leans over and smiles down at Tyler and I.

"Well Ivy, you going to introduce your friend to me?", asks Tristan.

I sigh in relief and smile back at Tristan.

"Of course. Tyler this is my eldest brother Tristan, Tristan this is my best friend Tyler Pinewood." I answer my brother.

Tyler and Tristan say their greetings then i ask Tristan if he could give Tyler and I a ride to my house.

"Of course i would why else would i come to your school? Come on hop in. Dad already is in one of his moods.", he smiles half-heartily in my direction.

I wince at the thought of our dad in one of his moods.

Tyler squeezes my hand noticing that i had winced than opens the back passenger door and gets in with me in tow.

Tristan turns on the radio and starts singing to some country music.

He turns it down some before he talks.

"How bad is it, Ivy? How many times has 'IT' been hurting you?" he asks with a sullen face.

I look up at the back of his head, surprised that he can tell, that he suspects wants the truth but i don't answer.

I know what he's talking about, I know what the 'IT' is.

Tyler looks at me with a concerned expression on his face.

"It's nothing, Tyler. Don't worry about it." I look up at Tristan and give him a look telling him that we'll be talking later.

He nods his head and turns the radio back up.

A few minutes later we arrive at our house and I hesitate before getting out of the truck knowing what lies ahead for me.

Tyler gets out before me, looks at my house, than at me.

He notices my hesitation and becomes worried.

I force a smile and get out of the truck.

Grabbing my hand he pulls me to him into his arms, hugging me.

I sigh and head to the front door.

"Hey Tristan, why did you borrow dad's truck?" I ask my eldest brother.

"Because my truck was running low on gas and full of junk that makes it only fit one person and that's the driver." He answers ashamed of his organizing skills.

I nod at his answer and laugh a little.

Tristan gets to the door first and pauses before opening it.

"...Tyler I should warn you that our dad isn't much of a dad really. He's more like a monster so don't be shocked when you see, hear, and smell what's inside this house." He says with a heavy sigh.

Tyler makes a face showing he's a little confused but nods anyway.

Tristan turns the knob opening the door.

He walks in first letting out a small scent of alcohol and burning cigarette smoke creep to Tyler and I.

Tyler coughs from the smell and smoke.

I look down at my feet waiting for him to get used to it before slowly dragging him into the house, eager to get it all over with.

We enter the living room seeing and hearing that my father is yelling at my brother for not coming to visit for so long.

Looking over at Tyler and seeing his face i feel ashamed because i know what he sees.

He sees a filthy, grimy, alcoholic, smoker, and a terrible father all mixed into one man.

The man wears a blue plaid button-up shirt, black jeans, and has brown un-kept hair with blue ruthless eyes.

My father finally stops yelling at  Tristan and looks over at me and Tyler.

He goes silent and stars me down daring me to talk.

I remember the last time i talked to him.

So whenever i enter this house i don't talk to him or anyone else.

"Dad, I was thinking about taking Ivy out of your hands for a while. Having her stay with me." Tristan spoke up seeing how much control our father has over me.

Father looked over at him than back at me.

"No. She will live with your mother and I until she is eighteen, than if you wish she can go with you. But she will stay here 'til than." He answered in a strong determined voice.

"I was also thinking that maybe she could stay at her friend's house sometimes. Let her have some space now and than." my brother answered back with just as much determination.

"Fine. She may stay at her friend's house, often. But that is the only other way I'm going to allow her to leave this house, for school and her friend's house." he says back before leaving to go to the bar.

My mother comes in with a dish towel and looks at me with disgust, than going back into the kitchen.

I walk over to Tristan and hug him.

"Thank you. But you do know that Tyler is my only friend right?" I whisper in his ear, a little worried about the whole staying the night thing.

"Yes, but don't worry cause I'm staying here longer than they think. I'm renting an apartment near your school. The whole friend sleepover thing is a cover up for you to come over and visit me. Okay?" He says happy at his own cleverness.

I sigh in relief and smile at him, breaking the hug.

Tyler looks between us and asks." Is he always like that? Are you really spending the night at my house sometimes?"

I smile at him and answer his questions.

"No. I'm not staying the night with you and yes, he is always like that. I'll tell you more later."

We all walk out of the house and help my brother take a few things out of his truck to make it at least seem like he's staying he a few days.

After that Tyler and I say 'good-byes' and 'see ya tomorrows'.

I watch as Tyler walks down the street until i finally can't see him anymore.

I head into the house, down the hall, and into my room.

My room has white walls, a few  posters, a dresser, stand, and a twin sized bed.

Not much of a room but it also has four locks on the door that i bought.

Before going to sleep i lock each and everyone and put on my pj's.

Finally i feel slightly safe and can fall asleep.