14 | the absence of pants

AAHANA felt like her whole body was shaking. She groaned and twisted to her side, snuggling in the warm blanket on her body. She felt a small tap on her shoulder followed by a few soft words of man. Her mind began to work again.

Man? Bed? Blanket?

She fluttered her eyes open to find herself in an unknown room. A surge of panic jolted her awake until she twisted her head to find Everett looking at her. She let out a sigh of relief. She yawned and pushed herself to sit. Her stomach growled and her throat ached. Everett seemed to understand and immediately filled a glass with water and offered it to her. She accepted and chugged it down her throat.

"Where are we? How did I end up on the bed?" She asked, her voice still hoarse.

"I carried you. You have been sleeping for three hours. Let's go eat something. You need energy," He said and stood up from his knees from the side of the bed. He threw his jacket at her. "Sleep once your stomach is full."

"Um, are we sharing the room?" She asked when she found Everett's clothes lying on the sofa.

"Yeah, the hotel is full tonight. I had no choice." Aahana nodded and went inside the bathroom to freshen up. She could barely walk after the long bicycle ride but the food was definitely going to help her. She was washing her face when she heard Everett knock on her door. "The restaurant will probably be full too. I'll go catch us a table, you'll be fine coming down alone?"

"I'm tired, Everett. Not sick." Not that she was complaining about his behaviour. She wouldn't mind being carried by him again.

"Right, sorry. See ya." She heard the door close. She splashed some water on her face. Most of her belongings were left at the motel—all she had with her was a few pairs of clothes, her flip flops and shoes. She had some money saved for the trip but she needed to plan out the budget. She did get the emergency card that her parents had provided for her but it will notify her parents about her location.

She wiped her face and walked out of the room with Everett's jacket wrapped around her small body. She made her way downstairs to the restaurant and found Everett sitting in one corner. She smiled at him as soon as she made eye contact and strutted towards him. He had managed to find them a table near a large window—the overcast sky with the moon on full display made her feel better.

She sat across from him and pulled the menu card. "Did you order something?"

"No, I was waiting for you. What do you wanna have?"

"What day is it?"

"Um, Tuesday."

"Yikes, okay. I'll have something vegetarian then. Um..." She scanned through the dishes. "Pasta! Yums. Haven't had one in weeks. No, hold up. They have Indian dishes. I'll have something made of paneer."

"Why does your choice of veg and non veg have to depend on the day?"

"Well, the answer depends from religion to religion but Indians worship so many Gods and Goddesses. Each day of the week is assigned to a God. People don't eat non veg on days of the God that they worship."

"What's wrong with eating fish or chicken?"

"We are eating another being, that's why."

Everett seemed to have more questions. He opened his mouth right when a waitress walked to them in a brought crimson apron. "Hello. Welcome to Lotus Inn. Are you having a good time? What can I get you?"

"Um, paneer masala and naan, please," Aahana said.

"Double the naan, thank you." The waitress nodded and walked away. Aahana looked at Everett with an amusing gaze. He noticed the funny look she was giving and shrugged. "What?"

"Nothing. I—I hope you like paneer. It's my favourite."

"This isn't my first time having it. I have tried almost all Indian dishes. Both veg and non veg." He licked his lips. And for a moment, Aahana forgot what they were talking about. "I can even cook what you just ordered."

"Are you trying to romance me?"

"Is it working?" He smirked.

Aahana and Everett burst into laughter.

"Oh, I am so full right now

"Oh, I am so full right now. I can't walk anymore," Aahana groaned as Everett unlocked their room. She limped inside as if she was injured. Everett shook his head in disappointment with a smile on his face. He blew a breath and stood close to her, He lowered himself and scooped her over his shoulders. Aahana hung over him with no hint of complaint. She smiled at the luxury of being carried until she was thrown on the bed. "Ouch!" She yelped as she sat up. "You broke my back, Everett Miller."

"Oops, my bad." He snickered and took off his jacket and spread out on the couch.

Aahana watched him lay his head behind and release a breath.

God, he is beautiful.

"Um," she cleared her throat. "Do you have some spare t-shirts? I don't have any nightwear." Everett nodded and pulled his bag close to him before tossing a white t-shirt and track pants towards her. It landed straight on her face, making him laugh. She stuck a tongue out to him and went inside the bathroom to get changed. She came outside wearing nothing but the long t-shirt that reached her mid-thigh. Everett had laid a pillow and an extra blanket on the couch, ready to dive into a deep slumber.

"What are you doing?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Getting ready to sleep."

"On the couch?" He didn't answer. "You don't have to be a gentleman. We slept beside each other yesterday, I can assure you nothing changes tonight. We are mature adults, aren't we?"

"Well, you aren't yet but fine, if you say so." He picked up the pillow and the blanket. His eyes landed on her legs and Aahana almost smirked when his eyes stayed there longer than they should have. "Uh. Where are your pants?"

"It's useless. I don't fit in." She said and yawned. She walked to the bed and snuggled in the soft blanket. She watched Everett stretch and switch off all the lights until the only glow left was of the lamp on either side of the bed. He sat on the other side of the bed and pulled his t-shirt out before throwing it aside. Aahana's eyes lingered on his muscular back. He looked over his shoulder and Aahana quickly closed her eyes. She heard him make a soft noise followed by another sound of switching the lights off. She felt the mattress underneath her move until warm radiated from the shoulder that made contact with hers. She began to rethink her decision of sharing the bed.

She wasn't sure if it was a good choice or bad but she certainly wasn't regretting the feeling of security.