pt. 31

Hours seemed to pass by in a haze. All I could really bring myself to do was to sit with everyone quietly. Strangely though I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest. Mom got some closure, the boys are happy, and me. . . Well anyways everyone's OK. And hey it's not like this arrangement won't work. Bo could probably use an extra person to vouch for him when trying to get people. And Vincent definitely could use the company. Maybe some days I would be able to go to work with Lester. Fuck, I'm really staying here. My stuff is getting mailed here! How am I going to make money?! Shit! I have to call my cousin and tell them I quit!

Getting up off the floor, where I had been just kind of laying down star fish style, I stretch. "I'm going out for a smoke. If you need me you know where I am." I yawn before walking out the door. Leaning on the porch beam I pull out my box and look inside. "Fuck." The door opens and I hear foot steps come out. "Everything okay?" Lester asks as he comes up to me. "Yeah," I sigh and smile. "Just running low. And my other pack is." Lester hands me my full pack of cigarettes with a soft kind smile. "I thought maybe I could smoke with you." How is this little fucker so sweet?!

I smile back at the scruffy dude and rolls my eyes. "You normally smoke?" I ask in a joking way. "Heh, well kinda, normally I can't stand the smell. Ma was a big smoker." Lester explains sheepishly. The two of us sit on the steps of the porch while I open the pack. "If you dont really like the smell I can always hold off a little bit. Probably could do me some good." I nudge him with my elbow and smile. "No! I uh. I mean," Lester takes a breath to gather himself. "It's fine when you do it. Plus no one should smoke, or drink, alone." He was had a point there. I nod and pull out a cigarette with my mouth. Tilting my head over to Lester I hold out the box. "So want one?"

~~~~
3rd person pov

Lester stared at (y/n) in what could only be described as awe. The way that she could adapt to everything around her. How they willingly had a talk with their mom about staying in Ambrose him and his brothers. And on top of all that, the way that they offered to smoke less if it really bothered him. "So, want one?" (Y/n) asked shaking the pack. Coming back from his thoughts Lester nodded and took a cigarette. "Here." (Y/n) held out her lighter flame for Lester. Slightly flustered Lester let (y/n) light his cigarette before lighting her own. "So uh, when did you start smoking?" Lester asked as (y/n) took a drag. "Senior year I think. Near the end. Mom used to buy them for me just cause I wanted to try em. You?" (Y/n) tilted their head. "Ha I got you beat. I was 15." "You were gonna have me beat anyway, you're older than me dork." Lester faked being insulted. "Only by like 9 years." (Just going with the think that like reader is 20).

"Yeah, old man. Ya all a bunch of old men." (Y/n) joked. "Hush." Lester nudged her slightly. "Hey it's not an insult. Always had a thing for older men." (Y/n) winked causing Lester's face to go beat red. "Ooh! Hey, check this out." The young woman excitedly took a drag of her cigarette while Lester watched. He looked at (y/n) with a goofy grin as she blew out smoke rings. Laughing (y/n) blew a kiss to Lester before getting up. "Can you tell the boys I'm going for a walk?" She asked as she stretched. "You wanna go by yourself?" Lester asks hesitantly. "Yup." She responds as she grabs the ipod from her pocket. With a wave (y/n) turned from Lester to wonder down the road.

~~~~
Reader's pov

I step out my cigarette and turn on my music. Plugging in my earbuds I start on my walk. I really just need a little bit to just clear my head. Bobbing my head to my music I look around. How do they pay for the electricity? Is it a bunch of generators? Man talk about a living plot hole. Meh, maybe I'll figure it out later.

It felt therapeutic to walk around the empty streets. No one would be showing up for awhile so I just kept to the middle of the road. Maybe some day mom could visit me. Or if I'm lucky one of the boys would take me to visit her. It would probably be Bo, I don't think he really let's Vincent get out of town. But  Lester would be a 'good bring home to mom' dude. He's real sweet and genuine. They're all kinda sweet. Well, 2 out of 3 are really sweet. Bo has his own mental shit he's gotta work through before I would be able to classify him as sweet. Guys with major mommy issues can be like that though. Poor kids. I let out a sigh and find a bench.

Feeling my side I take a deep breath. Just to make sure nothing was gettin worse. My eyes stare off at the sky as I rest. The sun was starting to go down and the air was getting colder. Clouds even seemed to make shapes as I zoned out. Letting my music fill up my mind I decide to close my eyes. It's like I could feel everything. The fluff on my coat was fluffier. The goosebumps forming on my thighs and arms were more defined. And my breathing was calm. Well calm enough for someone who's smoked a lot of cigarettes over the passed week. I know I always told myself I'd get used to being here. But I never thought it'd actually be my choice to stay.