Heroes suffers too

It was strange. Not even Umbridge's words at the time had been able to dent Hermione Granger's tenacity. Nor had Voldemort, who had literally launched a man -or witch- hunt specifically against her.

Hermione Granger had never let it get her down.

She had stood up and fought, with the audacity of a gryphon and that bit of cunning that would have made her a great Slytherin had she not been infected by the St. Potter's hero complex.

So now Draco Malfoy couldn't understand why the spearhead of the Golden trio was so broken, let alone explain why she had reacted so passively to the insults of a woman who, by the way, worked under her.

He didn't think he would ever see that fire inside her fade like this, but-

He brought his hands to his temples.

That fire inside her.

Had he really thought this?

He turned the glass over in his hands, looking at that amber liquid and wondering once again if his friends were actually drugging him. It was surely a more than acceptable hypothesis to explain the strange absurdities that flashed through his mind from time to time.

Little did he care what his friends were discussing at the moment. The only thing he could think about was Hermione's absurd reaction last night and the way she had kicked him out of her house in a matter of seconds.

And, most of all, the way he, for some strange and absurd reason, wanted everything but to leave. He wanted to stay there. He wanted to stay with her.

But why?

Curiosity, probably. He was dying to know what could have happened to knock out someone like Hermione Granger, and at the same time he blamed himself for not being able to figure it out even though he had literally read her mind.

And then, of course, there was the fundamental question: why the hell did she care about occlumency? And why did it have to remain such a secret that the only person she had asked for help - more or less - was him?

How was it possible that Hermione Granger had suddenly become so mysterious and full of secrets?

He waited for Pansy and Blaise to leave so he could be alone with Theo and talk to him about the doubts currently plaguing him.

He had to vent to someone, or this obsession would take away what little sleep he managed to get from time to time.

He couldn't resist a good four days before seeing Hermione again. 

When they were finally alone, he turned to his friend with a serious expression on his face. "What do you know about Hermione's work?"

The boy barely squinted, caught off guard by that question. "What are you referring to?"

"You told me where I could find her, at the Ministry, so you must know something about her work."

"Well," began Nott, staring thoughtfully at his glass. "I don't know exactly what her work consists of. From what little I know -and don't ask me how I know- she had applied for a position in the creature department, but…"

"But?" pressed Draco, impatient to know more, not caring by now to hide his interest about Hermione's business.

"But, for some strange reason, someone believed it wasn't appropriate to grant the savior of the magical world her dream job," Theo frowned. "And it wasn't a matter of titles, nor skills. Potter wanted to work as an Auror and was immediately hired without having taken his G.U.F.O. And Weasley, well… he's the worst keeper to ever play in the National Quidditch League, yet there he is, warming the Cannon bench."