1.

First day. First day at a new job! 

You caught the early bus. This would get you to the museum kind of awkwardly early, but you would just have a wander. Plus, it would show your enthusiasm to your new employers. 

The bus was fairly crowded this early in the morning. A pregnant woman got on a few stops later and you got up to offer your seat to her, which she thanked you for and gratefully accepted.

This left you standing in the main aisle, hanging onto the bar above with other passengers, but you didn't mind. You had your earbuds in, listening to an audiobook, so you were content. 

At the next stop the folks waiting for the bus got on and paid their fare, but the bus still sat idling at the stop. You were just wondering what this was about when you heard shouting and a man waving his arms in the air raced past the side of the bus, jumping on.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" he panted, showing his pass. "Thanks so much!" Then he squeezed into the already crowded bus. Nice bus driver - you had ridden many buses where the drivers would have just headed on without a care in the world while the people were shouting and running behind, chasing after them. 

The man ended up close to you as more passengers got on and off at every stop. His breath was still heaving from the sprint to the bus. 

A little while later, you felt a sudden weight on your shoulder. Turning, you were slightly startled to see the man very close to you - he was leaning against you and had seemingly fallen asleep. Must have had a rushed, rough morning, including almost missing the bus. 

You were just noting how peaceful he looked when you realized you were staring. The bus hit a bump which shook the man awake. He blinked, wide-eyed and disoriented for a moment before he met your gaze, your stare. He must have thought you were staring at him in a 'seriously? This random guy just fell asleep on me?' kind of way.

He gave an embarrassed smile behind tired eyes.  "Sorry - cheers."

"No worries - have a nice day." This was your stop. You squeezed your way to the front, called a 'thank you!' to the bus driver, and stepped down into the street. 

It wasn't work, not yet - you had decided to treat yourself at your favourite coffee shop for the first day, not that you needed much of an excuse to visit this particular shop. And it was in walking distance to the museum - even more perfect!

Armed with your coffee and pastry - hey, first day, extra treat for extra exciting! - you strode with a bounce in your step to the museum itself. 

You would be working at the front desk of London's acclaimed National Art Gallery, assisting guests as necessary, giving directions, and answering questions and phone calls. It wasn't what you really wanted to do - be a tour guide or educator - but it was at the museum so you were happy. Besides, this was a good first foot in the door that might - hopefully - lead to something else down the road. For now, it was perfect. 

After checking in with security you wandered around the lobby, finishing your coffee and waiting for your supervisor, Mary.

When she arrived she was glad to see you so early and enthusiastic, so, she said, you might as well get started. Your photo was taken and printed onto an ID card to be worn around your neck on a lanyard. And your name had already been stamped onto one of the name badges and was waiting for you, which you eagerly pinned to the front of your top. Very official! 

"Welcome aboard," Mary told you before whisking you away off on a tour of the 'staff only' areas of the museum. Following her, you just missed the wild-eyed and messy-haired man rush into the lobby, cutting it close once again and knowing a serious chat with his boss was in his near future. 

(And off we go! :) Hope you like the start!

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))