9- Ranks

After lunch, we go back to the training room to see our ranks. The Dauntless born have their own board of rankings and the transfers have their own. I take Cecelia by the hand and she takes Jared by the hand and I drag them into the room. My stomach drops.

1. Jared
2. Rita
3. Jacob
4. Jamie
5. Cecelia
6. Roxana
7. Xedalia
8. Damian
9. Ledra

WHAT?!

I try to keep my composure. I will not cry. That would only make my rank worse. Jared is first rank. Cecelia is fifth. And my name is way at the bottom. I feel sick.

Wait. We started with 11 transfers.

"Where are they?" I blurt out. Everyone stops talking and gazes at me. "Where are who?" Four asks. I swallow. "Where are the other three transfers?"

"They didn't pass-" Four starts only to be interrupted by Eric.

Gosh, I swear each time he looks at me, I get weak.

"Two didn't pass the first steps of initiation because they are cowards. One chose to be factionless, even more of a coward." I look at the ground and nod. I feel like Chicago just shifted beneath my feet.

What if I don't pass initiation? I might even be compulsive enough to leave initiation and become factionless. I thought I did ok for my first fight but I guess it's not enough. I'm not enough. My vision is blurry and the room is spinning. I think I might vomit.

I walk like a drunk to the bench a couple feet away. I can see bodies turned toward me but I can't make them out. My breathing is rapid and this horrible anxiety takes over my stomach. I hear, "Breathe. Calm down and breathe" but it's really distant. I feel like my heart is in my ears and I can't get enough oxygen.

I take in a long, deep breath. I close my eyes and try to think positive. Maybe sunshine and rainbows will rid me of my anxiety. I breath in and out rhythmically. My vision is starting to clear up. "Dalia, do you need a nurse?" Four offers.

I shake my head. "I just wa-want water." Jared gets a water bottle from a table in the corner and brings it to me. I drink the cold water and feel more relaxed. I just had a panic attack.

"Everyone else is free to go. Training for today is done," Eric says.

I look up at him. The way he looks back at me is abnormal. He has a smirk on his face but it looks adorable and sweet. My heart flutters.

"So... you should probably go check that concussion, fainting princess." I glare back at him. His smirk is now his usual one, teasing. I flick him off. I expect him to threaten me but he just laughs. I get the roller coaster feeling again. He bends his legs so that he's working his hamstrings and looking up at me. His fingers are laced together.

"You don't want to get checked up at the infirmary, do you?" I shake my head no. "Well, in that case," he gets up to stand, "you have to. Leader's orders."

I get up quickly, pissed off that he uses his title to make me angry. I want to start cursing at him but I waddle on my feet, unbalanced. He holds my forearms in place. I find myself holding on to him for support. I let go and sigh.

"I'll help you get there. I don't see how you could get there on your own." He winks and I turn red. Ever since I "checked him out" or whatever I feel like he's constantly teasing me.

"I'll ask Cecelia to go with me." When I say Cecelia's name he instantly shakes his head. "You need a strong shoulder for support." I want to rip that playful smirk off his face.

"I'll ask Jared. He's the best ranked for a reason." With this, his lips turn into a firm line. Suddenly, Eric grabs my arm. I'm confused until he puts it over his head. He's determined to take me to the infirmary. I sigh yet again, hating to let Eric get what he wants. He wants to have time to make me feel embarrassed and weak and tiny. We start to head out of the room but I say, "hang on a second." I walk to the board of rankings and erase the X and e in front of my name.

We head over to the infirmary then and I feel stable enough to walk on my own. "I feel stable enough to-" I trip over my feet. Damn it.

"You don't seem stable." Eric smiles. My stomach flip flops. I scoff out loud. He thinks I find him attractive. To his advantage, I very much do. I glance at his arm tattoos and don't even stare away when he sees me looking. We keep walking.

"What?" Eric asks, amused. "I know you enjoy the view, but staring isn't polite." I roll my eyes. "Did it hurt?" I ask. His face becomes neutral. "No." I don't believe him one bit.

"Why so serious then?" It's my turn to smirk. He looks down at me and my smirk fades away into the hallway's dim lights. He stops and gets closer to me. I back up until my back is against the wall.

"Why so pale?" he says. I swallow. He's so close, his features looking mighty and attractive. This moment feels tense and inappropriate. He's "Eric the Dauntless leader" and I'm a transfer initiate. What am I thinking?!

But then I remember I'm not doing anything. His arms are on both sides of my head. But only to intimidate me, right?

"Why don't you find out for yourself?" Whoooooooa. Wait, what? I look up and his face is mere inches away. "Get a tattoo. See what it feels like," Eric says, clearing up what he meant from what I was thinking...

"You up for it, initiate?" I feel unsure whether to accept his challenge. "Shouldn't I get my concussion looked at?" I say.

"You believed that crap?" He smirks down at me.

I pause. "Yeah. I'll- I'll get a tattoo."

Hey guys. thanks for reading :D!!! Leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed or tell me some suggestions if the story is waaaaay boring... sorry for that if it is. :(

Till the next update.<3