Chapter 3

Word had gotten out that Adam was going to the dance. So far Blake hadn't heard his name mentioned. People were too focused on the prospect of Adam at a popular school function than to think about the idiot who asked him to go.

In school on Friday, everyone is buzzing with excitement. Blake knows he just has to get through tonight, collect his money, then suffer through a few final exams before graduation.

He tells his mom he's attending the dance, but he leaves out the part about the bet and Adam and his moron friends and just tells her he's casually going alone. Thankfully, she buys it. He and his mom haven't been that close in a few years anyway, so it was relatively easy. He could probably do whatever he wanted most of the time because she was rarely home.

Blake finishes adjusting his bowtie and looks at himself in the mirror. His phone lights up on the counter with a text from Usher. He's riding with Luke and Rachael and Usher and his girlfriend, Beth.

On our way, see u soon

He finishes up in the bathroom then heads outside to wait.

***

Blake taps a foot impatiently as he sips on whatever god-awful drink the dance committee decided to serve. He keeps glancing around the school gymnasium, looking for any sign of dark, spiky hair. He made it this far with the bet, he's not about to be made a fool of now.

"Cheer up, man. I'm sure he's on his way," Usher says. He's all smiles as he walks over, Beth clinging to an arm. Usher tends to look good in anything he wears, but tonight Blake can tell he went the extra mile.

"I don't have to actually dance with him or anything do I? Cause that wasn't part of the deal."

Usher shrugs. "Can't say I wouldn't love to see it, but I guess not."

Beth smiles politely before Usher waves and he's tugged off to the dance floor. More people keep filing in and it's becoming harder for Blake to keep track of who he's checked and who he hasn't. The music booming in his ears doesn't exactly help with concentration.

People give him funny looks, probably wondering why he's standing alone at the refreshment table. He wonders the same thing. Right about now, he just wants to kill Luke. Usher too, it was his genius idea. No doubt Adam caught on that it was a joke and bailed.

Not more than a minute later Blake looks around for the hundredth time and there stands Adam. Blake's eyes travel down his lanky frame. He's sporting a dark blue suit and tie, and his hair is tamed with gel. A far cry from the hoodies and ripped jeans Blake was used to seeing him in. He looks-handsome?

He reminds himself that this is just business. He'll have to play it cool to keep on Adam's good side, at least until Luke and Usher see that he's here.

Adam walks in slowly, eyeing his surroundings under long lashes with his head dipped down. Blake walks toward him until the smaller man is forced to look up.

"Hi," he says sheepishly.

"Glad you could make it." Blake responds. "Want something to drink?"

"Sure."

Blake leads him to the refreshment table and pours him a glass. He takes one sip of it and spits it back.

"Awful? I know. I think they're tryin'a poison us. I was hoping to graduate first."

Adam laughs, and it's the first real smile Blake has seen out of him. He's like a totally different person, like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. He seems to have shed the tough outer layer and Blake is getting a glimpse of someone that he's willing to bet few people have seen.