Chapter 1

Prompt (from otpprompts on Tumblr): High school AU where Person B is the school outcast/loner and Person A is popular. Person A gets dared to ask Person B to the school dance, and does it thinking that Person B will say no. But Person B says yes, and they have the time of their lives. What happens at school the next day?

I used names of people we're all familiar with, to help with characterization and because I'm too lazy to think up any other names. This isn't exactly like the prompt but I had an idea so I ran with it.

By the time Blake crosses the finish line, his legs have nearly gave out from under him and he's soaked through with sweat. It's a hot son of a bitch for mid-May in Los Angeles. Oklahoma is hot but at least it's dry.

He grabs a bottle of water and pours it all over his face as the rest of his teammates finish their laps. Blake is usually one of the first to knock out the miles, but running this distance in the beating sun and high humidity takes a toll on a guy and today he's just happy he came out alive. Even during the off season, their coach likes to push them to their limits. Many of them are seniors anyway, so what's the point? Blake thinks he just enjoys watching them suffer.

He's wiping his face with a towel when he feels Luke's hand clap his shoulder. "Fun time today, huh cowboy?" Luke says in his thick country accent. He and Blake come from similar territory back east. It was much easier making the move to L.A. with Luke by his side.

Blake groans. "Bastard wants to kill us, I swear he does."

Luke laughs. "Probably. But you know, that was the last thing standing between us and the dance next Friday."

Blake had almost forgotten about it. The Spring Dance, held every year right before school let out. Everyone was looking forward to it, especially the seniors, as it would be their last hoorah before graduation. He would be more excited if he had a date. Luke was going with his long-standing girlfriend, Rachael, senior captain of the softball team. From the looks of their relationship Blake wouldn't be surprised if they got married right after high school.

"Yeah," is all he says as he tugs a baseball cap over his wet hair.

"Aw cheer up man," Usher chimes in. He's sweating like the rest of them but always seems to handle the heat better. "Just because you don't have anyone to go with doesn't mean you can't have the time of your life."

"Oh he's going with someone. We'll hook him up," Luke says.

"Ya'll sound like giddy little girls."

Luke and Usher exchange a glance. "We are," they say in unison.

Blake laughs as he slings his bag over his shoulder. "Better not tell your girlfriend, Luke. I think she's expecting a straight guy."

"She'll take me however she can get me," Luke responds, garnering him a punch on the arm from Usher.

They start making their way back to the gym locker room. And the air conditioning, thank Jesus. "Seriously guys, I'm fine to go alone." That was a lie. Somewhat.

"Come on, man. I don't see why you don't have girls hanging all over you. Who wouldn't want to go with the star of the football team?" Luke says, spreading his hands out in a rainbow. Blake slaps the back of his head.

"How about a guy?" Usher asks.

"A what?"

"You know, why don't you go with a guy?" Blake thinks he's serious until he glances his way, and a smile is forming on Usher's face.

Blake shakes his head. "Real cute, Ush." Because if anyone who was anyone knew anything, it was that Blake Shelton was your stereotypical country guy. Straight as an arrow. He definitely didn't swing that way.

Usher shrugs. "It was worth a shot."

Luke pipes up. "That's a good idea."

"What?" Blake asks, dumbfounded.

"You going with a guy. I bet you'd never do it though."

"You mean if someone made a bet with me? What makes you think that?"

Luke shrugs. "I'm just saying, I bet you wouldn't."

"Hold up." Blake stops walking. Luke and Usher stop a few steps ahead of him and turn to look back.

"You can't be serious."

"A hundred bucks says you won't take a guy to the dance," Luke states.

"I'd like a piece of the action," Usher says, getting excited. If money's involved, Usher's all in. "Make it one-fifty.

"You guys are dicks."

"Hey, take it or leave it."

Blake pauses. What the hell was he getting himself into? He sighs. "Any guy in particular, or...?"

"Yeah," Luke says cheekily. "Adam."

Blake winces. Adam Levine. Everyone knew the name, despite him being one of the least popular guys at their school. Junior, loner, didn't talk much, below-average grades, didn't play any sports, had a couple tattoos, into music, girly shit. And he was gay. Of all the guys, his asshole buddies had to pick him.

God, he was thinking like he was actually going to do it.

"Alright. Deal. One-fifty says I will get him to go to the dance with me."

They all shake on it. "Cool. And don't worry, we'll make sure it's worth your effort." He winks at Usher. "There may be a girl waiting on the other side."

"Whatever shit you guys have planned, leave me out of it. Gonna need all my energy to try to and win him over."

"Give him some of that Shelton charm," Usher says with a laugh.

Luke pats him on the shoulder before parting ways. "Good luck."