Chapter 26: The Finalists Stand

Start from the beginning

There were only four teams that had passed this round. Teams seven, eight, ten and the Suna team. If you considered that twenty teams had started this round it were a lot of teams failing this stage. From the brief conversation that they had had with Naruto they found out that team seven had been the cause for the lack of heaven scrolls in the forest. They had taken out a lot of teams and collected so many heaven scrolls that it limited the number of teams that could pass down to five overall. With team ten having two heaven scrolls as well it was down to the four teams in the room. They were all assembled in lines facing the Hokage and the jonin senseis of the passing teams. On top of that there were the proctors for the exams.

The Hokage then addressed them and congratulated them to passing the second round of the exams. He also explained the true meaning of the chunin exams to those that had passed. It was a replacement for the wars of the past to keep balance between the countries. Then he proceeded to explain the last and final round.

"From here on, you don't fight in teams anymore. In the finals you will face one opponent at a time. The decision if you are promoted depends on how you present yourself in front of the audience in which there will be our most important clients. It will also be the event that will start the reign of the next Hokage." The Sandaime said surprising everybody except the jonins and team seven. "Yes, I have decided to finally retire again. You are the first ones to be told who my successor will be; the rest of Konoha and the dignitaries will be informed tomorrow."

Kakashi stepped forward.

"As you probably all know this is Kakashi Hatake, he is the Godaime Hokage." The Sandaime said and the genin and jonin of Konoha bowed to the chosen successor of the Sandaime.

The Suna nins were surprised by the announcement. This complicated the plans for the invasion massively. They hadn't expected to have to fight against a young and powerful Hokage. They would need to talk to the Kazekage as soon as possible. Perhaps they should rethink their involvement with the planned invasion. Kakashi Hatake had managed to rise to S-rank in all bingo books over the last six months since he had taken up a genin team which was now participating in the finals of the exams. It was unheard of that a ninja could bring a team to the finals of the chunin exams in such a short time and become an S-ranked ninja at the same time. They couldn't underestimate this opponent.

"Thank you for the show of respect." Kakashi said seriously. "As the next Hokage I will now explain just how the finals will go. As Sandaime Sama said we will test you in one-on-one fights. It will happen in a tournament. Therefore you will all draw numbers now which will tell you which opponent you will face in the finals. Step forward one by one, draw a piece of paper and tell us your number."

The first ones to go were team ten who stood to the right, next were teams eight, seven and last the Suna team.

"I have three." Ino announced.

"Seven." Choji said.

"Troublesome, I have eleven." Shikamaru announced.

"Two." Kiba declared happy to be in the first fight.

"Ten." Shino stated.

"Four." Hinata said and looked at Ino who would be her opponent.

"One." Sakura said.

"Six." Sasuke announced.

"Nine." Naruto said looking at Shino.

"Five." Kankuro announced.

"Twelve." Temari said.

"Eight." Gaara ended the process.

"Very well, then this are the pairings for the finals. First match is Sakura Haruno vs. Kiba Inuzuka, second match will be Ino Yamanaka vs. Hinata Hyuga. Third match is Kankuro Sabaku vs. Sasuke Uchiha. Fourth match Choji Akimichi vs. Gaara Sabaku. Fifth match Naruto Namikaze vs. Shino Aburame and last but not least Shikamaru Nara vs. Temari Sabaku." Kakashi called out the pairings. "You get one month to prepare for your fights. You don't know anything about your opponent's strengths and weaknesses, so you should prepare accordingly. Do you have any questions?"