As the evening wears on whatever tensions existed are gradually dissolved by the drink and the good cheer. Jaron and Luca are continually peppered with curious questions about the Wastelands and their tribes. Meg sips her drink carefully, making a point of speaking with each person in turn, moving socially and gracefully about the table. She asks about everyone's lives, jobs and families, genuinely interested in their responses. I grin as I watch her, making a mental note to bring her with me into the City more often. She seems relaxed and happy, the heavy weight of the burdens she has carried since the Revolution no longer apparent.

Eventually Luca ends up in the chair next to mine. His usually tightly-drawn shoulders are relaxed, his calm demeanour reminiscent of the time we spent in the oasis.

"Your friends are kind." He says, nodding to to my other side where Jaron is engaged in a tawdry conversation with Harry about the merits of Miner women.

"Yes, they're a good sort." Taking a sip of my drink. "I've known them my whole life."

"They are formerly Commoners?"

"Mostly." I glance around the table, grinning at the sight of Meg laughing uproariously with Samus, the one-eyed bartender.

"Then you were Common also?"

"Once upon a time." I look back towards him. "You've been paying close attention to Meg's history lessons, have you?"

"I did not know that your City was once divided. I find it very interesting."

"Interesting in retrospect." I tilt my head. "Not so much at the time."

He watches me for another moment. "Tell me about your Revolution."

"Meg has already told you that story." I twist my mug absentmindedly.

"But I wish to know your part in it."

A small smile tugs at my lips. "It was Will's idea."

"Your commander?"

"He wasn't Commander at the time. He was a doctor working in the Palace for Meg's father. Will recruited me to disguise myself as an Courtier and befriend Meg so that I could feed inside information to the rebels."

He rubs the scruff on his chin. "An elaborate plan."

"That's Will for you."

"Is that when you and your Queen became friends?"

"Not at first, but eventually." My heart flips with the lingering guilt I still feel at having lied to Meg about who I was for those months in the Palace.

"I can tell that she has much respect for you." I don't miss Luca's eyes darting towards his brother momentarily.

I glance over my shoulder at the Waster chief and back towards Luca. "Your brother respects you as well. I don't think you'd be here if he didn't."

"Jaron is protective of me, which is why he keeps me close. After Noah was taken Jaron began training me to share his duties."

"And is that what you want? To be chief?" I take another, thoughtful sip of my drink.

He doesn't answer immediately, drumming his fingers on the side of his cup. "I want to help my people, but I do not want to lead them." He says eventually.

I nod. "Have you told him?"

"He says that I will learn to want this." The hands covering his mug tense. "This is our family and our duty is to one another."

I feel the usual pang at his mention of family. "You are lucky to have people who care so much about you."

"As are you." He gestures down the length of the table and I follow his gaze, feeling a smile creep over my face at the sight of my friends talking and laughing with one another. Who would have thought that Courtiers and Commoners could ever sit together this way? Now with Luca and Jaron in our midst, I feel a spark of hope for how much more we are capable of.