3. in the audience chamber

When the soldiers on either side of the heavy door opened it, they found themselves in a glittering space the size of a school gymnasium. A huge chandelier shone far overhead, and bright red tapestries trimmed with gold thread hung on the walls. The pattern engraved on it was probably the coat of arms of the country. The light from the chandelier reflected off the floor, which was so glossy that it almost reflected my face, and sparkled above and below.

On the left and right walls, about 40 soldiers in armour stood at equal intervals on either side, as if they were figurines.

We walked on a red carpet straight from the entrance and were stopped by a soldier a few metres before the stairs leading up to the throne.

''His Majesty will be here shortly. When the signal is given, kneel down and be careful not to look directly into His Majesty's face. There must be no misbehaviour."

"No roughhousing, you mean..."

' "Yes, with pleasure."

No one noticed that Harumi's eyes narrowed meaningfully at the soldier's words.

The trumpet sounded as a signal, and the three magicians who had been waiting behind Harumi quickly knelt down and bowed their heads. Because of this, they were late in noticing that Harumi was still standing.

By the time they perceive it, however, it is already too late, after the king has emerged from the thick red curtains.

He is a man in his fifties, with a mixed white beard and eyebrows, a belly full of fat, and dressed in gold and red, as in this room, but it doesn't suit him very well. Perhaps no one can point this out. The dressmaker, who is probably producing them for the king, doesn't care if they don't suit him or not, as long as he makes a profit.

When the King saw that Harumi remained standing, he frowned disapprovingly but said nothing in particular. Those around him breathed a sigh of relief when they saw that he had taken his seat as he was. The slender, nervous-looking old man who had followed behind stood diagonally behind the king.

' "Are you the hero of the other world who has just been summoned?"

' 'So it seems.'

The people around me shuddered.

'You are disrespectful to His Majesty the King! You should know that !'

'Oh well. When you are young, you should try to be chic.'

The king coughed deliberately and everyone around him quieted down.

' 'I am Neville Steriawergen Arkafro, king of the kingdom of Arkafro. The reason I summoned you this time is to ask you to defeat the Demon King. I will prepare a sufficient reward for you. You may discuss this with the Prime Minister later."

The king glanced at the old man behind him. It appears that he is the Prime Minister.

' But first, I have a question ...'

'What is it?'

The Prime Minister, rather than the King, answered grimly.

'Is there really such a thing as a demon king?'

The air on the spot sways. It sounds rude again, but Harumi didn't miss the moment when their faces on the throne became surprised.

'...It's only natural, isn't it? I wouldn't have called you otherwise.'

'Hmmm.'

The King and Prime Minister were inwardly breaking out in cold sweat. In fact, the existence of the Demon King had never really been confirmed.